Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Versatility

First, to all of you in the bloghop, I'm not ignoring you.  I'm coming over as soon as I'm feeling better, I promise.

Yesterday morning I had the pleasant surprise of visiting Helen at Straight from Hel to discover she had bestowed upon me the Versatile Blogger Award.  Thank you, Helen!

This award comes with the following rules:

1. Thank the person who loved me enough to bestow this gift.
2. Share seven things about myself.
3. Bestow this honor onto 15 newly discovered or followed bloggers – in no particular order – who are fantastic in some way.
4. Drop by and let my fifteen friends know I love them.

Seven Things
I had originally planned to share 7 odd or embarrassing things about myself in keeping with the inadvertent theme of this week, but I've been under the weather the past 24 hours with little brain function.  So I've decided to share 7 reading/writing-related matters with you (if you're interested in a more serious list, go here).
  1. The first story I remember writing was in the 2nd or 3rd grade.  We had to write a fable about how a rabbit (or a cat; I can't remember) got its whiskers.  Everyone else's story was on the front of one of those huge-lined pieces of notebook paper (the ones with the dotted lines down the center).  Mine was three pages and the teacher had to photocopy page 2 because she hung them on the bulletin board so others could read them.  The other kids made fun of me for spending too much time on it, but I didn't care.
  2. My first writing attempt of 50,000+ words came in junior high, and was heavily influenced by my concurrent obsession with Goosebumps, Christopher Pike, and Stephen King—a.k.a. pretty bloody/gory.
  3. In high school, I had two stories running at once—one about a lone Chinese girl in her high school (with parents trying to only have boys these days), and the other in which King Arthur-type lore meets high science fiction.  Neither of them went very far, but I'm sure I still have them on a 3.5in floppy at my mom's house.
  4. In high school I became slightly obsessed with Russian lit.  I'm not sure how many times I read Anna Karenina, but I knew the story quite well.  Of course, it wasn't until years later when I started studying Russian that I could keep all the nicknames straight :)
  5. I started college as a creative writing major at a small liberal arts school.  I was pressured into studying something more "practical", and unfortunately left writing behind for a while.
  6. I started writing again a little over a year and a half ago.  It was my way of taking control of some horrible nightmares I was having in the months after my dad died.  I took my dream and wedged into something fan-fiction based because I didn't have the energy at the time to create my own universe.  Unfortunately, it became epic to the point where War and Peace looked like a picture book.  It resides in my computer, completely outlined, over 150,000 words hanging out in numerous word documents.
  7. My current WiP-collection was inspired by a dream I had the night before my parents' first wedding anniversary after my dad died.  Maybe it was another coping mechanism?  I don't know.  It's not anymore, and I love my characters, and I love the story.  I have sooooo much work to do on it still, and sometimes it's a struggle, but I love every minute.
  8. When I first picked them up my sister-in-law's recommendation, I ended up reading all four Twilight novels twice in 2 weeks.
7+1 to grow on, right?

Passing the Versatile Love
So, now it's my turn to pass this on.  In no particular order...

Cruella Collett at The Giraffability of Digressions
Brigid Kemmerer
The Book Vixen
Lily of Darkness at Lilium's Realm
Jamie at Three Cheers for Literacy!
Chary at Bronx Tales and Inner Musings
Talli Roland
Tiffany Neal
Charity at My Writing Journey
Jemi at Just Jemi
Lynda at .W.I.P. It
Summer at ...and this time concentrate
Hart at Confessions of a Watery Tart
Creepy Query Girl
Tawna at Don't pet me, I'm writing

There are loads of blogs worthy for this, of course, and it's hard to choose.  Definitely check out these blogs!  They're worth your time.

Okay, back to bed with me.  Talk to you later!

27 comments:

LilyofDarkness said...

Well first thank you for the award. That was awesome of you. Second I did the whole way too many pages thing myself in high school. It was my first bit of writing that was ever professionally published. Thanks. You made my day.

Summer said...

Thank you for the award! I liked your 7 things...I did quite a few genre-splicing things in high school too. :)

Tawna Fenske said...

Aw, thanks so much for the mention!

So what "practical" degree did you switch to from creative writing? I've got the ever-useful English Lit degree myself. Qualifies me to quote Shakespeare while I serve Happy Meals.

Tawna

Amanda Sablan said...

Nice list. But I can't imagine myself reading that much, as you did with Twilight in 2 weeks...

Cruella Collett said...

Congratulations on your award, and thank you so much for passing it on to me! :)

And I still like you even if you've read all the Twilight books more than once... (seriously - I have a ton of friends who read them and loved them. And I forgave them all in turn. Nah - kidding, I'm okay with having differing reading preferences than my friends. BUT I still reserve the right to joke about sparkly vampires!)

DEZMOND said...

congrats on the award :)
And may I ask a question? What's with the Macedonian blog you also have? :)

~Nicole Ducleroir~ said...

Hi Rosie! I've noticed your "eye" (profile pic) on several blogs today and decided to check out your space. You have a fab blog! And, I chose the perfect day to visit since I learned eight interesting things about your writing journey.

I look forward to reading much more from you!

RosieC said...

Lily, I'm so happy I could make your day! And at least your HS writing got you published. I don't have much to show (or at least nothing I could put in a query letter).

Summer, the genre-splicing thing can definitely be fun, but I'm a afraid I didn't do it too well :)

Tawna, at least your "practical" English Lit degree can help you in your writing. I switched to (drumroll......) Integrated International Studies with a focus on E. European politics. I'm pretty sure that doesn't even qualify me for a McDonald's position! :)

Amanda, I didn't do anything, and I'm pretty sure I didn't even see the light of day. I was in a pretty bad place at the time and needed the escape. I don't exactly recommend it.

Cruella, you're absolutely welcome! I love your blog :) And while I would like to note that I adore vampires, I generally prefer the tall, dark, and broody ones that actually catch on fire in the sun. Make as much fun as you'd like, and I'll probably join in.

Dezmond, thank you! As for the MacBlog... *sigh* this makes me a total dork, but I'm required to have it for my Macedonian class. We put our homework up there, and we're allegedly supposed to "reflect" on what we're learning. I don't do that!

Nicole, thanks for coming over! It's always nice to meet a new face.

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks so much Rosie - you're such a sweetie :)

Love your long story in the early years! Nothing like a clear sign :) Hope you feel better soon!

RosieC said...

You're welcome, Jemi. And thanks on the well wishes.

I sure hope the early story was a clear sign! We'll find out when I hit the query part of the process :)

Lynda Young said...

Thank you so much for the award! I feel honoured :)

Hart Johnson said...

Rosie-thank you so much! I'm really sorry to hear about your father dying. I'm in that club too (which is an obscure Grey's Anatomy reference, but I lost my dad a LONG time ago).

I'm extremely impressed with how young you started writing so seriously, even if the content was attached to a strange mix of other stuff.

I liked your list.

RosieC said...

Thanks, Hart. It's still pretty recent, but it gets better every day. Unfortunately, I don't watch Grey's Anatomy. I can't even watch a razor commercial--sharp objects--much less watch a medical show :)

I'm happy to pass this on to you.

Charity Bradford said...

Thanks Rosie! I loved reading the 8 things about you. My best stories come from dreams too. Write what we know, right?

I'm adding you to my award link page. Here is a link to my seven facts. Enjoy!

DEZMOND said...

Well, that's interesting, I'm from Vojvodina and I have a lot of friends down in Macedonia (which was with us together in the old Yugoslavia). Why are you learning Macedonian for? :)

Talli Roland said...

Thank you so much! :) Yay for awards - and versatility! And I so appreciated your comments on my blog yesterday. They really helped.

I love how all your life you've been a writer and that you've gone full circle back around to it. :)

RosieC said...

Dezmond, really? I've been wondering why you had a poll for the hottest woman in Serbia :) My "day job" is PhD studies in Slavic Linguistics. I mainly focus on Polish, but we need a language from each of the three zones, so for me that's Polish, Russian, and now Macedonian (Croatian/Serbian, which is taught together, was really full and I couldn't get funding as easily as I could for Mac :)

Talli, thanks. I meant every word. The full circle must mean I'm meant to do this, right? Or at least this is what I keep telling myself after the 782nd rejection :)

Jo Schaffer said...

How cool that you like Tolstoy. (=

Amos Keppler said...

Versatility is crucial for any artist or human being. Without it we'll never get anywhere. By living a life filled with variety most other things like versatility and inspiration come to us easily.

DEZMOND said...

oh, that's interesting, Rosie :) I speak Russian also and understand Macedonian, but you beat me with Polish :))
Serbian and Croatian (as well as Bosnian and Montenegrin) are just one language (linguistically speaking), but they have different names now due to political reasons :(((

RosieC said...

Thanks, Jo. I love Tolstoy. War & Peace is actually my favorite.

Amos, that's beautiful :)

RosieC said...

Dezmond, would it be sad I said I was trying to side-step that issue? I've met a number of people from the region who are extremely sensitive and almost militant about the issue. On the other hand, as my adviser says, a language is a dialect with an army. Such is the fate of Tito's dream, huh?

DEZMOND said...

it's not Tito's dream, Rosie, it really is one language with slightly different dialects. Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian and Montenegrin languages differ one from another much less than British English differs from American English. And I'm saying this not just as a person who lives here, but also as a fellow linguist and a language teacher.

RosieC said...

Oh, I totally recognize that. I guess I was thinking (or not thinking :) of BCMS with Macedonian and Slovenian. You teach Serbian? And you're a linguist? Fantastic! It's always nice to meet another linguist, strange as we are ;)

The Book Vixen said...

Congrats on the award! I love learning more about fellow bloggers :)

Thanks for passing the award along to me!

maryvernau said...

Congrats on your award Rosie! sending you sweet dreams! Aunt Mary

RosieC said...

Thank you, Vixen. I'm more than happy to pass this on to you. I've learned about SOOO many great up-and-coming reads from you.

Mary, your wish for sweet dreams is already helping :) Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails