Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Self-Indulgent Update

Sunday night.  I've spent all weekend not doing the work I should have done, and I'm okay with it.  My husband and I ditched work together yesterday, and today's been a lovely day of writing, etc.  I'm currently waiting for the multiberry crisp to come out of the oven, and my tea's already steeping.  Oh, and we just brought in some beautiful wild pink lilies that popped up on the side of our house.  *grin*  Aren't they pretty?

I guess that was the self-indulgent part.

As for the update:  Thank you once again for all of your suggestions on my writing crisis last week.  Based on suggestions (and that dreaming-to-waking transition creativity), I settled on two courses of action—the assorted expository hint through the first half-dozen chapters and a brief study session between my MC, her BFF (the abbreviation makes me cringe, but it's true), and two randomly generated people for purposes of exposition.  It currently fits neatly on 4 pages (less than 1000 word).  While it's a little boring in that expository-dialogue-y way, it could be much worse, and it's punctuated by my MC's narrative voice making fun of the situation. Hopefully it's not painful to read.  And nothing's set in stone.  It's not like it's going to print any time soon :)

I can also make one of those extra people useful, of course.  He'll bring lots of extra conflict into my MC's life long after this new guy disappears.  His involvement should also help (hopefully) to resolve one of my crit reader's complaints about my MC's lack of flaws.  It will at least make her more interesting.

On a tangential note, last week while walking to class I was listening to my "soundtrack".  It's not really a soundtrack, since it doesn't actually connect to events in the story.  It's more like a song or two that seem to portray a character's voice.  One song came on, making me feel painfully nostalgic for a character that doesn't appear in WIP-1, but only in 2 and 3.  I've vowed to focus on #1 for now until I'm a bit happier with the flow, etc., but the song made me literally miss my character.  I listened to it over and over and over.  *sigh*  Oh, Zoe.... we'll meet again someday.

Do you ever miss your characters when you take a break from your WIP, or after you finish it?  Or am I just nuts?

12 comments:

Jemi Fraser said...

Nope - you're not nuts. I miss the characters when I'm done writing their stories. They still live on in my head and on paper of course, but it's not the same as working with them each and every day :)

RosieC said...

Thanks, Jemi. Good to know. It's hard because I've been wanting to write a diary from this character's PoV, and but I think I should focus on other things first. Ah! It all comes with the territory, I guess :)

JoseG said...

Nice flowers!

RosieC said...

Well, you did a very nice job cutting them :)

Heather said...

I like the flowers too! And the multiberry crisp sounds really good!

RosieC said...

Thanks. And it was good :)

Cruella Collett said...

I'm going to say you're a little nuts - but in a good way ;) I'm sure Zoe is worth missing :)

Sounds like you had a good weekend - now have a great week!

Stephen Tremp said...

I miss my characters. I admit it. They are so diverse that no matter what mood I'm in, I can always think of one and develop them a little further, even when I'm taking a "break" from writing.

Stephen Tremp

Helen Ginger said...

Well, you're probably nuts, but not because you miss your characters. You're nuts because most writers are. Comes with the territory.

Straight From Hel

RosieC said...

Cruella, I'm glad you think it's in a good way.

Stephen, thank you. I think this character is developing in her own way, even if there's no physical evidence of it.

Helen, that's a good point. I am nuts for more reasons than that one :) Thanks for the reminder.

Roh Morgon said...

It's hard to miss characters when they won't stop haunting you! Ah, the perils of writing a series - getting sucked into the lives in the story for a REALLY LONG TIME.

And it's much worse hearing the music from my soundtrack - it'll send me straight back into the story, which isn't so great when driving down the road!

BTW, liked your shoe story...

Hopping off to another blog...

RosieC said...

Roh, it's so true. They just won't leave you alone! I suppose it's a good thing I don't drive to school. At least I can't run people over on foot. hehe

Really glad you enjoyed the shoes. Thanks! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails