Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Eat Pray Love - Part 1

I've decided to join an online "book club" for the month of July.  Well, I'm not sure book club is the correct term.  Together, we're reading Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert over the course of the month.  First, I'd like to thank The Book Vixen for organizing this.  I've been wanting to read this for quite some time, and I'm happy to have the push.

Five times this month, our dear Vixen will post questions pertaining to the book.  I'll respond here, so you can read my thoughts (I make no promises for deep and insightful comments), and I'll back to the Vixen's page with my post.  Maybe I'll even get a little more foot traffic. :)  Chances are good that *I'll* end up adding another 10 blogs to my reading list....

So, to kick it off, here are today's questions:

What have you heard about it? 
Two very important women in my life have read this book (yes, you both know who you are) and have had quite positive things to say about it.  They both follow my blog, so I hope they'll join in the discussion.

I actually met another woman this morning who happened to be in the office when I picked up the book.  She got so excited talking to me about it, asking if I would finish it before the movie, etc.  It definitely helped raise my excitement level (not that it needed much help).

What preconceived notions do you have of the book as a first time reader?
I don't think I really have any, except that I should enjoy the read.  I haven't met anyone who's read it and not liked it.

What do you anticipate going into it? I'm not sure.  That it will make me hungry, make me want to focus on my spirit more, and make me appreciate the love that I have.

A little corny, huh?  Oh well.

Why do you want to read it?
Why not?  It's good for the soul. :)

Okay, I'm off to get started now.  Anyone else who wants to read along, the plan is to finish the Eat part by July 11.  Happy reading! 

5 comments:

Erika Lynn said...

It is good for the soul! Hope you like it!

tubathespian said...

I'm excited that you're reading along! And yes, I think this qualifies as a book club. :)

Charlie said...

I'm excited to share this book with you! Happy reading!!

The Book Vixen said...

I, too, needed a push to read EPL. The book intimidated me (why, I'm not sure) and I think the only way I would have read it was to do so in a book club setting (with other people joining me and holding my hand along the way).

I don't know anyone (personally) that has read this book....

I see a lot of pizza in my future!

Can't wait to see what's in store for us!

LTM said...

Made it to here, and I'd probably read it for the reasons you said--other than the one about it being recommended to me. I haven't heard from any friends about it...

From what I'm reading here, though, it sounds like Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance to me, which I read in high school. (I liked the title.)

I was raised in an extremely religious household and very sheltered from the outside world, which I contacted through books. While I wasn't allowed to listen or watch much, I read *everything.*

Perhaps that's why I have such an open attitude toward other religions and philosophies. Personally, I'm Christian and believe in Jesus, God, the whole nine yards--graduate school and all! :D I even worked at the university seven years.

But I'm 180 degrees from exclusive, bigoted, prejudiced, etc. IMO, that demonstrates utter ignorance of the teachings of Christ.

sigh. Religion...

I know my negative reaction to the book is based on the movie trailers, as I mentioned on my blog, and I'm not opposed to reading it. Perhaps I will some day. I love closing my eyes and imagining us all bound together in a rope that brings us to the next level~ :o)

Related Posts with Thumbnails