Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Insomnia and the Art of Half-Dreaming

Yeah, it's 5:30 as I start this.  I've been up for at least an hour.  Technically, it's not really insomnia.  I slept for maybe six hours.  Please understand, I LOOOOOOOOVE sleep.  While six hours is more than sufficient for some, I will need a nap by noon (and my class doesn't end until 12:30... whoops).

Please forgive any typos or horrible uses of grammar.  I'm tired.  I would forgive you under the same circumstances.

The only reason I'm not more bitter about being awake is that what woke me was a half-dream—you know, the dream when you know you're dreaming but you're still completely a part of the dream as well—that seemed wild enough to come with its own entire plot.  I love that.  In fact, I think everything sitting in my "extra ideas" folder came from a half-dream.  My entire three part series started from a half-dream.  I have well over 150,000 of my epic (War-and-Peace style, five-book über-novel) story of vampires and demons and slayers (oh my!) that started from a pretty nasty recurring dream.  I think the only story I've recently created from a completely awake state was this one.

Point being?  I'm excited.  I'm always excited when I wake up and there's some wild story playing out in my head and I'm completely aware of it.  I do everything in my power to stay in that semi-conscious state for as long as possible and try not to let my conscious self tamper with that dream world.  And then I get up and write as furiously as possible.  Even if it's 4:30am.

Where do your plot ideas come from?  Dreams?  Memories?  Places?  Daydreams?  Silly things your friend said?  Inquiring minds... and all that jazz.

2 comments:

Jan Morrison said...

Oh they come from anywhere! A word even. The Rock Walker idea came from overhearing a person I know at an art gallery talking about when she was paid to walk the rocks at Peggy's Cove to warn people about the danger. Wow! I couldn't wait to start that one. The one I'm working on now was me thinking about what would've happened had I still been with my second husband when he was poisoned and had a stroke. He became a different person - my book is quite different from his story but that is how it began - that and the fact that one of my closest friends is married to a man who has early onset altzheimers.

RosieC said...

Wow! That's intense. But, I guess it's your personal lemonade. I'm not sure I would be strong enough to take something so emotionally intense and make it mine.

You're strong woman, Jan. I'm very glad to have found your cyber address. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails