Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Return to the Old Life?

My real job started again today.  Well, actually, it never technically stopped.  I just stopped.  That's the beauty of freelance work, right?  If you don't do, it just doesn't get done.  I've promised my boss it will, and it will, just not by the time classes start on, er, Monday.

I suspect, due to a rush job that needs to be completed in the next 6-7 weeks, I won't be here quite as much.  It makes me very sad to admit this because it also means I won't have as much time for my own writing.  And while I'm taking a creative writing class, I don't imagine it will affect my work for NaNoWriMo this year.

I've been saying it all summer, but I need to prioritize.  I have a job with a definite deadline, and another one with a loose deadline.  I'm training a new employee at the publisher today and tomorrow, and I'll be her go-to person when she has questions.  Plus classes.  Plus writing.  Plus husband.  Plus laundry and cleaning and cooking and, oh, I should probably start going to the gym again. 

But not necessarily in that order.

In addition to my entire life that needs order and structure, I think my writing life does, too.  At the moment, I'm trying to follow too many blogs (and I love most of them and don't want to give them up!), have my own blog which I have already let slip over the past couple of days, working on helping out the folks in my new online critique group, putting my work over there, and, oh yeah, keeping up with my editing and planning for NaNoWriMo.  *whew*  Again, not necessarily in that order.  Unfortunately, for the past couple of weeks, other tasks from this list have trumped my own writing, and I'm not thrilled about this.

Oh, and no where in there did I mention reading.  I'm currently reading a memoir—Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bordain—an MG—Princess for Hire by Lindsey Leavitt—and Stephen King's On Writing is calling to me.  Oh, and a novel I won on GoodReads—No Place for Heroes by Laura Restrepo—and the novel I won from a FB contest—The Handbook for Lightening Strike Survivors by Michele Young-Stone.  And The Possessed by Elif Batuman, which I've been yearning to read for months and recently got my hands on.  Ack!

So, my attempt to organize and prioritize continues.  I think in addition to setting a minimum number of hours to work each day on the editing side, plus assuming I might do some school work here and there :) I'm going to set myself weekly goals for reading and writing.  Hopefully this will take the daily pressure off if I need to spend more time on my German, or the formatting on my editing job isn't working and takes twice as long as it should.  The writing will happen—it always does—but motivation to edit the text afterward tends to be elusive, and that's what needs to happen most right now.

Okay, ramble over.  We now return you to your regularly scheduling blogging.

How do you prioritize your life?  How do you fit writing into your (presumably) already hectic schedule?

PS—If you're doing NaNoWriMo this year, feel free to add me as your buddy.  I'm Rosie-C over there :)

24 comments:

Cruella Collett said...

I know, it's cruel, isn't it? I have almost come to terms with the fact that I probably will have to put my blog on hold for a while. I can manage the occasional post, but keeping up with all the lovely blogs I follow and replying to comments and such is just too time consuming right now. And my fingers are programmed for typing about Middle East affairs. So Palestine conflict refugees border incidents - oh, bugger...

I'll try to pop by (both here and on my own blog) every now and then, though :)

Jemi Fraser said...

I find it hard to balance. School's starting soon so I'm going to to create a schedule for visiting blogs. Hopefully it works :)

RosieC said...

Cruella, I hope you get a chance to pop by, even if you have to put your blog on hold. I probably won't be posting as much between now and December, anyway.

Jemi, school just gets in the way of everything! :) Let me know if you create a blog schedule that works.

Summer Ross said...

I know what you mean about school. I have two literature classes, one french class, and one statistics class plus My kids, and My guy and my writing and my reading and appointments and after school kids activities...its seems the lists go on and on. However its pretty simple with me, Kids first, school, My guy, then writing in between when i have time, though the blogs have taken up alot of my time, I feel they are crucial to me as a writer, I wont give them up- I might become sporadic at times, but that's it.

RosieC said...

Summer, you're so much busier than I am! Way to go in keeping your priorities in order. You give me hope! :)

Cold As Heaven said...

My life tends to prioritize itself, with all the stuff I have to do:
1. Get my job done, whatever time it takes (right now I have 3 jobs)
2. Take care of the kids
3. Take care of the house
Then spend the rest of the time having fun, with wife, online, reading, writing ...
Sometimes I try to get two things done at once, like listening to audiobooks or black metal while I'm painting the house. And in a hundred years it will all be forgotten, and does it really matter >:)

Cold As Heaven

Jules said...

I wish I had something to prioritize! If I ever do get a life back I know I want to keep all my blog friends. :D
May the force be with you and I'll keep popping by.
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Michelle said...

School for my girls starts next Thursday and that's when all hell will break loose. During the summer I write all day or on and off all day. When they go back to school I will lose that freedom because I will become Mommy Taxi. And then coaching right after school so I will need to write during the day religiously or I will get nowhere fast. Blogging will definitely take a back seat.

Nicole Baart said...

I write in my head and hope that the words don't fall out of my ears before I have a chance to capture them on paper! It's a crazy, unsustainable way to write. But hey, you do what you have to do. ;)

Sounds like you manage, Rosie. NaNoWriMo is not for the faint of heart. I've never done it. I'm faint of heart.

Blessings to you!

Cheeseboy said...

You should know by now, blogging should be the number one priority! Now, don't tell my wife. She would likely smack me across the head with her anti-blog purse.

Rayna M. Iyer said...

Right now, it seems very unlikely that I would attempt NaNoWriMo, but there is last year's NaNoWriMo, which needs to be written from a single perspective- might just tackle it this November, if I think I am going to get the bandwidth for it.
Will sign up and add you as a buddy, though.

RosieC said...

CaH, three jobs? ack! Multitasking definitely helps. As for being remembered in 100 years, isn't that what our writing is for? ;)

Michelle, good luck keeping your schedule with the kids in school. Will it help that it will be quieter during the day with the kids outside of the house?

Nicole, this is my first NaNoWriMo. I can't tell you if I'm faint of heart or not yet! If you don't hear from me again after Thanksgiving, you'll have your answer. Also, I frequently write in my head and hope it lasts long enough to make it on to paper. It usually doesn't come out as cool, though.

Cheeseboy, I so want an anti-blog purse! But I promise I won't hit you with it :)

Rayna, it'll be great to see you over there. Any push to get yourself moving is a good one, be it 50K or the editing of 50K. :)

Hart Johnson said...

How do I prioritize? Poorly, that's how. Why... right now I have a day job deadline I should be nicking away at... I blog when I should be writing or typing... ACK! So if you figure out a system, please share it!

Boonie S said...

I’m so busy. Sometimes I find it difficult to hold my own, but when times are like that Mrs S holds my own for me.

All the best from Boonie S

LTM said...

I'm coming to terms w/only being able to make the rounds a few times a week as opposed to daily. It's tough! sigh. But I think ultimately everyone finds what works for them, yes?

RosieC said...

Hart, if I come up with a system, it will be hardly more than half-assed. But I'll still share. :)

Boonie, you're lucky to have someone to help with it. My hubby and I are always trying to find the balancing act in our separate lives as well as together.

Leigh, that's true. I just don't want folks to feel left out! Is that a tad silly of me?

DEZMOND said...

your daily agenda seems hellish, maybe you need an exorcist :)) I know, I personally do :)

RosieC said...

Oh, Dez, if only.... :)

Lynda Young said...

My house isn't as clean as it used to be... ;)

M.J. Nicholls said...

Irrelevant to the post (good luck with your endeavours, by the way, same goes for me when I start school again), but who is Banana Yoshimoto? As you imagine, the name appeals to me. And don't tell me he writes only in Chinese/Japanese with no English translation. Don't you do it! I MUST read someone named Banana Yoshimoto!

RosieC said...

Lynda, unfortunately that was never a priority for me, and so I can't give it up now! HA!

MJ, haha! I actually fonud Banana Yoshimoto through a friend's recommendation. As I'm not nearly cool enough to read any non-European scripts, I promise it's translated. Here's her GoodReads bio: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/28229.Banana_Yoshimoto
I read KITCHEN, which is a novella, with a short story at the end, and LIZARD, which is a collection of her short stories. I would highly recommend both.

Jackee said...

It IS hard to balance. I know. The best I can ever hope for is to choose one or two facets of my life and make those the priority of the day or week and go from there. Great if I find balance. But I have many irons in the fire and many things I want to do with my life, so I just muddle through. Like the rest of us. Good luck, Rosie!

RosieC said...

Jackee, day to day seems like a good strategy, but I never make the right choices!

Oddly enough, I almost wrote "write choices". Freidian slip, anybody?

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

All you can do is do the best you can...Your job has to come first....We'll be here when you hae time. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails