Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Monday, August 9, 2010

Delinquent Me: Eat Pray Love - Love +

A week late is better than not at all, right?

Finish Indonesia and discuss general feelings on the book. How did it affect you? I read this book at a time in my life when I was really struggling and it had a profound effect on me so I am curious to see what others thought of something so deeply personal. 

Will you go see the movie? Will you read Committed which is Gilbert’s follow up to Eat Pray Love?
What are some of your favorite quotes from the book?
 
I really enjoyed the book, and the Pray section impacted me the most.  In fact, I would go so far as to say my deep love of her time in India got me hyped up enough that her time in Indonesia was a real let-down.  That's not to say it was bad, but it wasn't amazing in the way I'd anticipated.  That being said, I loved our medicine man and his Bali meditation:  have every part of your body smile, even your liver.  I need to work on that.  I'm not sure my liver is accustomed to smiling.


Will I see the movie?  Probably not in the theater.  Netflix will send it to me in six to eight months, and by then I will have enough distance from my reading that one will not affect the other.  

Will I read Committed?  Again, probably not, mostly due to my disappointment in the last section, and assuming Committed is based on her time with Filipe.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm thrilled that Liz found true love and could move on with her life a healed woman, but the healing was more interesting to me than the love she allowed herself in the end.


Most of my favorite quotes can be found in my last post on Pray.



Award!

Thank you, Medeia!

I've decided to follow a theme in passing on this award.  I'd like to share this with the EPL book club, since I have so enjoyed reading the book along with other people.  It was a fantastic idea, and I am especially grateful to The Book Vixen for organizing it.

Jamie at Three Cheers for Literacy
Nicole at Home Grown Me
Charlie at Life Happens
Lily of Darkness at Lilium's Realm
Erika at Kiss My Book
Jamie at The Book Junkie's Bookshelf
The Book Vixen


Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the book.  It's been delightful reading along with you.

16 comments:

Maria said...

Interesting to hear your thoughts. I read Committed and was disappointed. I also liked the India part better than Indonesia. It's been over a year since I read it though so Committed is more present in my mind.

RosieC said...

Maria, do you remember what it was that you didn't like about Committed? I can only imagine, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

tubathespian said...

Thanks so much, Rosie! This book club was a LOT of fun; thanks for participating!

Ann Best said...

I just read through this post and your recent ones. (I found you a few days ago; thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on how my daughter loves your banner, especially the GREEN.) Your writing is wonderfully lively; so are you. Sounds like you really enjoyed the wedding festivities, and haircut! Looks good. As for your review of the book: very honest and informative. Thank you. I've heard a lot about it. I might try it someday.
Ann

Maria said...

For most of the time she was very anti marriage and the rest of it was the ordeal they went through with immigration. She went on A LOT about why they didn't want to get married. I wasn't sure that she really did make peace with it as is suggested in the title. When I read EPL with my bookclub of 3, I was the only one who finished. The other 2 hated it and felt like she was waaaay too whiny. I liked EPL but felt like she was kind of whiny in Committed.

RosieC said...

Jamie, this was a lot of fun. I'm not in BV's August book club, but I'll be watching for others in the future.

Maria, thanks for your candid take on it. I'm glad she's had the chance to turn her interesting life into best selling memoirs, but I still think I'll skip #2.

Jemi Fraser said...

A friend of mine read this and only liked the Eat part - thought the rest didn't live up to the hype. I still haven't picked it up yet.

Charlie said...

Thanks for the award! It's so sweet! I loved sharing this book with you, it was fun reading what you thought! Sorry to hear you won't be reading Committed, but I understand. I mostly want to read it to see how it goes. I never heard of it at all, so there isn't much hype. Either way, we'll see. Happy Reading, and thanks again!

RosieC said...

Jemi, the Eat part is good, but it's less about food and more about her troubled life before she leaves for Italy. That might be why she liked it better, because it has variety, which Pray and Love don't. I think it depends on what you want to get out of it when you start it as to whether or not it lives up to the "hype". I would recommend it, though, if you decide to take the plunge.

Charlie, it's my pleasure. I've also really enjoyed sharing this book with you. I might change my mind about Committed (apparently I'm not committed to my decision... har). I'll be interested in what you think about it. I hope you enjoy it!

Jen said...

Eat, Pray, Love was a journey for me. I took my own sort of self discovering path while reading it and like you was most inspired by Pray. It was funny though, everyone who read the novel that begged I read it said Pray was the slowest, but I was so engrossed with it all I couldn't help but be in love. Love was a let-down for me as well after Pray was so great. I'll for sure be seeing the movie this friday!!!

I heard the same review that Maria said about Commited, that she wasn't a fan so I'm not entirely sure I'll pick that one up.

RosieC said...

Jen, the book club was split over Pray. Each reader either loved it or found it preachy and boring. I don't know if you read my post on Pray, but I also just adored it (I know I mention it above, but it doesn't really portray the full emotion I had in response to Pray). Let me know what you think of the movie. Maybe I'll change my mind and go see it.

Rayna M. Iyer said...

This starts with a rant- I know I am following your blog, my face shows up on your blog as a follower, why then does your blog not come onto my google reader? After missing a whole month of posts from you, I decided to try following you again, and got added on as a new follower (though I am already following you), and hopefully it will now get onto my google reader.

And Indonesia was a letdown for me too. I am an Indian from India, so started reading the Pray section with the "okay, another Westerner thinking she knows it all about India after a short visit", but was carried along. While Pray was not my favourite section (obviously, it was Eat)- it followed really well from Eat. Love was a let down :-(

RosieC said...

Rayna, I really hope you get the problem worked out with your Google Reader (and not just for selfish reasons :)

The reason I enjoyed Pray more than Eat is two-fold. Eat wasn't just about Italy, and it bounced back and forth between her love affair with food and the destruction of her former life. I found much of it depressing, even though she was doing something proactive to help herself. Pray, on the other hand, was about her healing process, and it ended on such a beautiful note--especially since she decided to stay at the ashram for all 4 months--with her finding the strength within herself. Eat pulled out my own dark emotions, whereas Pray showed me what's possible to help each of us heal. And then Love... eh. But you and I agree on that already :)

Pk Hrezo said...

I just saw the movie... have not read the book yet, but I actually really enjoyed the movie. I love how she went searching for something more... I can totally relate and I thought it was a very enlightening story.

M Pax said...

I haven't read this yet, but heard all negative until here.

Joyce Lansky said...

I enjoyed the movie. Good enough???

Joyce
http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails