Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Drabble Challenge 8/12

It's been a couple of weeks since I've been able to get my patootie in gear for the drabble challenge over at the Burrow Blog, but I decided I should try again this week.

**EDIT** I won this week's challenge!

For your reading pleasure:
IMAGE: Pepys and Lady Batten
ARTIST: John Digman Wingfield


Hoping her own wasn’t trembling, she took the man’s hand.  Gentlemanly he was, or so he carried himself before her father.  His chivalrous demeanor impressed her, but his personality remained a mystery.  The unknown waited for her at the end of the journey to her gentleman’s land.

Her recent marriage to this mysterious foreigner brought vast wealth to her family, allowing her father to travel, increasing his clients, and her sister to receive the medical treatment she needed.  The benefits far outweighed her fears.  For the love of her family, she continued on her journey.

She didn’t once look back.

15 comments:

Boonsong said...

Enjoyed your drabble, but most of all, “since I've been able to get my patootie in gear”. I had to look it up in the dictionary. If I was smart I would have guessed it. Oddly enough the most commonly used and only marginally coarse word in Thai for the area of the gluteus maximus is “toot”. How about that?
Thanks for teaching me a really useful word.

All the best from Cuty Patootie Boonsong

Maria said...

Love it! These are really fun. I always like what you come up with for the pics.

Heidi said...

Do we get to hear the rest of their story? I want to know more!

Michelle. said...

I was nervous for her just reading. :) Definitely made me want more more more. Great job!

RosieC said...

Boonsong, I'm so glad I could help. Around here I have many friends who aren't native English speakers, and I frequently forget to tone down my slang, which may be why they love me so much. There will be plenty more where my toot-patootie came from :)

Maria, thank you! I spent a long time thinking about this one, so I'm glad you enjoyed it.

RosieC said...

Thanks!!!

Heidi and Michelle, I guess I'll have to work on it more. Whatever I come up with will end up on the blog at some point.

Boonsong said...

Please continue to write naturally. You're so good at it. It would be quite wrong if you alter your very entertaining word usage for me or anyone else.

Have a nice day, Boonsong

RosieC said...

Oh, Boonsong, don't worry. I won't change anything. Just wait for me to use the word schnazzy (which my husband is convinced I have single-handedly brought into the lexicon :) It's just the way I roll.

JoseG said...

Is that how you spell it? I would've guessed 'shnazzy'. Nice story, it makes me want more too!

Vatche said...

Hey, Rosie, you've been tagged on my blog for something, so check it out!

Thanks for being awesome and write on!

LTM said...

ooo! I love it--esp. the last line. What a perfect drabble for that picture.

excellent work! :o)

RosieC said...

Jose, I'm a big fan of the German "sch" for such concocted words. :)

Vatche, thanks. I love it when people acknowledge my awesomeness! j/k

LTM, thank you! Glad you enjoyed it.

RaShelle said...

Yes Rosie - This drabble was/is amazing!!! Perfect. ;-D

jcmartinfighterwriter said...

You have an award waiting for you on my site! :)

http://jc-martin.com/fighterwriter/awards

RosieC said...

RaShelle, thanks so much! I had fun with this one.

JC Martin, thank you! That's very sweet!

Related Posts with Thumbnails