So many of you gave awesome suggestions on how I could improve my character interview process on Monday's post. Thank you! If I haven't mentioned it recently, you guys ROCK!
I decided that, since I don't want to be selfish and keep this to myself, that I would report this, updated with everyone's suggestions. Feel free to use this any time, share with your friends, etc. Also, if you have more suggestions, please leave a note in the comments, and I will continuously update the post at large.
Note A: Before conducting this interview, one suggestion was to push the character's buttons to the point of no return. Piss them off and then push for information, and they'll be more likely to be bluntly honest.
Note B: If you're finding it difficult to discover this information, another suggestion was to take an idea and write (perhaps a blog post) about it in your character's own words. For an example, click here.
Everything You Ever Wanted (and Didn't Want) to Know About Your Characters
Physical Appearance (eye color, hair color, other defining facial information, height, weight, scars, piercings, tattoos, is their second toe longer or shorter than their big toe? clothing style, hair style, makeup...)
General Historical Information (DoB, DoD (if applicable), education, extra-curricular activities, suspensions, broken bones, hospitalizations, first kiss, first extensive sexual experiences, mother's maiden name, heritage, children, parents...)
Personal Information (left/right handed, allergies, contacts/glasses/20-20, exercise routine or not, favorite color, food preferences, handwriting style, artistic tendencies or none? zodiac sign...)
Personal Quirks (nervous gestures/ticks, sweaty hands, what do they do when they lie? phobias? pet peeves? addictive behaviors...)
Turn Ons/Turn Offs (favorite smells, repulsive smells,
- What did s/he want to be after growing up?
- Did s/he have any pets as a child? Names?
- Hobbies? How serious are they? Past hobbies since abandoned?
- Favorite iconic figures? (actors, writers, musicians, artists, world politicians, historical figures...)
- Video game obsessions?
- City or country or suburbia?
- Boxers or briefs?
- Favorite type of music? Favorite type of fiction or non-fiction? Drama, sitcom, or documentary?
- Do they drink? What do they drink?
- If s/he had a million dollars (or applicable currency)...?
- Left brained or right brained?
- Favorite/Worst childhood vacation?
- Favorite/Worst childhood memory?
- If s/he could visit anywhere, where would s/he go first?
- Stance on social issues (whales/environment/water/polar bears/etc.)?
- Introvert or extrovert?
- How does s/he react around children?
- Act or React?
- Fight or flight?
- Do they hold grudges or let them go?
- What songs are important to them and why?
- How do they see the future?
- What inspired him/her?
- How do other people perceive him/her?
- Cats or dogs?
- Who do they look up to and why?