Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Rutilated (#atozchallenge)

Welcome to today's post on the A-to-Z Blogging Challenge. My challenge, as I have chosen to accept it, is thus: I have asked on my Facebook and Twitter accounts for people to contribute random words beginning with today's letter. From Random.org, I have selected one of these words, and will below challenge myself to connect said word to writing.

For the letter L, I received 39 suggestions. Random.org selected number 35: rutilated.


Rutilated

Okay, I'll admit it. I had to look this up. My friends have taken it upon themselves (I think) to stump me with some of their words. (I really should have done this before taking the GRE several years ago.)

What got me was when this word wasn't in my dictionary.

So, despite my complaining about it a couple of weeks ago, I went to (*gasp*) Wikipedia.

Image courtesy of Wiki Commons.
"Rutile is a mineral composed primarily of titanium dioxide, TiO2... Rutile derives its name from the Latin rutilus, red, in reference to the deep red color observed in some specimens when viewed by transmitted light."

In the spirit of crystals, and red ones at that, I've decided today to tell you a little bit more about the magic in my novel Fighting Fate. If you read my entry for the Nature of Magic blogfest, or my entry for the Query Letter blogfest, you might have noticed that I need to spell out some details. So, here goes.

The source of magic in the story comes from two stones—one red, one blue—each given to one of the sons of the first king to find the true nature of personal magic. Each ancestor of the two brothers, Elmore and Aldred, was ensured some piece of that magic as long as the stones exist. This is "myth" to some, and the stones are kept hidden, under the protection of the ultimate head of each branch of the family, usually the king or queen. The stone chooses (sort of) the head of the family because it will increase that person's magic if it is touch his or her skin.

However, since it's a myth, many people in the story either don't know about it or don't believe it. They take their magic for granted. Because of the stones, only descendants of the two brothers have access to this magic. There's another kind of magic, when magicless people try to control the magic within the earth for their own purposes, but it's as violent as an unbroken horse, and leads to mystical, incurable injury in almost all cases.

So, when Prince Marcus discovers a commoner who has magic, he becomes suspicious. He feels compelled to discover her secret, be it either her tricks for taming the magic of the earth, or which branch of the family she comes from. When she insists it's neither, he only decides to pursue the issue harder.

Thanks for reading, folks.

What issues have you needed to sort out recently? How do you outline your thoughts? Do you freewrite on the computer or a journal? Do you talk out the issues with a friend or family member?

Today I'm taking suggestions for the letter X. Have any? Leave them below. Thanks!

10 comments:

Siv Maria said...

Love this! As a crystal and Stone collector I looked forward to reading this post. Thank you. Very nice and informative.

Reece said...

Oh! Now that's just not fair! Now you've got me all interested in your book and I want to read more...but I can't!

Seriously though, this sounds like a good read!

Wendy G. Ewurum said...

Very interesting thank you....

Holly Ruggiero said...

I love the tidbits about your book. And or course, the rutile.

Marjorie said...

Your book seems really interesting!

Read my books; lose ten pounds! said...

ohhhh, interesting. Want more!

Josh Hoyt said...

This is interesting. I like how you have worked out your magic system. The book sounds like a fun read.

Jules said...

Well that sounds like a cool magic system but your questions hit home. Exactly where I have been, sorting things out. Think I would have had more luck hitting myself in the head with one of your blue or red crystals :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Theresa Milstein said...

I remember your blogfest entry. What a cool idea to connect the magic to crystals.

Have I had any issues to sort out lately? Yeah, legal ones. My protagonist is facing some pretty big things. I'm not sure how to Google all the answers, so yesterday I put up a post on Facebook looking for police, lawyer, and/or judge connections. Now I have a phone # of a cop I'm calling today. I should get my questions ready.

Natasha Hanova said...

Love this story, but you already know that. :-)

I talk to myself to work out my issues or sometimes brainstorm with my critique group. I also like to write free flow, or make charts and graphs as a visual references.

Related Posts with Thumbnails