Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Xbox (#atozchallenge)

Welcome to today's post on the A-to-Z Blogging Challenge. My challenge, as I have chosen to accept it, is thus: I have asked on my Facebook and Twitter accounts for people to contribute random words beginning with today's letter. From Random.org, I have selected one of these words, and will below challenge myself to connect said word to writing.

For the letter X, I received 19 suggestions. Random.org selected number 10: Xbox.


Xbox

Pong (courtesy of Wiki Commons)
Video games have come a long way since the days of Atari. Pong and Space Invaders are so basic for today's kids that they won't even play them.

Sure, maybe it's the graphics, or the fact that it's boring to move the joystick left and right and left and right trying to bounce a tiny ball. But to me, the real reason kids today like the more modern video games is because of the stories.

Super Mario Bros (from Wiki Commons)
Yup, I said it. Video games have stories, too. Sometimes they're no more complicated than Super Mario Bro's—save the princess!—and sometimes, they are. There are side missions to find the key you need to open the door to the next submission, all so you can save the overly busty girl from being killed by zombies before the zombie master blows up the island. There are the main villains, their lackies (sub-villains?), and all the minions your little heart desires to stomp or shoot or whatever method you choose to get them out of your way.

Admittedly, we don't have an Xbox. We have a Wii. But as I asked for suggestions from the population at large—and today is X, not W :) —I gotta use what I can, right?

Resident Evil 4 (from Wiki Commons)
Granted, the stories in today's video games aren't exactly complex. Little character development goes on. The stories don't vary much, in that they're usually a journey story with a goal of treasure or redemption or saving humanity at the end. But as video game technology advances, so do the stories. And while I love playing Super Mario Galaxy, the "story" is more a throwback tribute to the original Mario games while raising the skill level—jump on some mushrooms, save the princess from crazy Bowser. I much prefer watching my husband play (because it's too scary for me) Resident Evil. Yeah, there's a lot of zombie destruction, but the story's kind of interesting.

Mario Kart (from Wiki Commons)
Of course, my favorite video game is Mario Kart. No story there. Just win the race. But I've always been more a puzzle game person myself. It helps that I can play online against my friends and cousins all over the world. (If you ever want to play, just let me know :)

Have you ever considered the stories in video games? Do you play video games?

11 comments:

Name: Luana Krause said...

I think I'm the only person in the universe who doesn't play video games. Unless you count karaoke, Guitar Hero and Beatles Rock Band.

Reece said...

I absolutely love video games, and I freely admit that I like them chiefly for the stories they tell. (That's why I like RPGs most of all).

Unfortunately, I don't get to play very much: maybe 3-5 hours in a month, at best. There are just so many things that I have to do, and after I finish those, I usually want to write.

Talli Roland said...

Can you believe I have never used an X-Box?

Btw, I love yesterday's subject! :)

Pk Hrezo said...

Yep I love the quest games. My son and I can sit and play Zelda on Nintendo for hours. DOn't have an Xbox tho and we need to get Zelda for Wii. :)

Josh Hoyt said...

You must not have played some of the RPG games there is some character development and a lot of story :) Great post on the xbox I play lots of games I like all games except for first person shooter games. I get way to sick for them to be enjoyable.

Jules said...

I have a Wii and Zelda is my nemesis. I don't know about the story but I sure would like to run through the grass and gather hearts of life :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

India Drummond said...

I've been playing video games since they were first available at home.. even before that, actually... we used to go to arcades to play them for 25c a time!

But yes, I think the story is often the best part, and I really enjoy a game with a good story. Assassin's Creed has a fabulous, compliated story that really added to my enjoyment of that game.

Charity Bradford said...

I used to play the PC game Myst with my brother. Old school, problem solving, made of awesome! Years later I stumbled upon a book series that told the story of all these worlds. I loved getting all these details that were only hinted at in the game.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the books or the author and couldn't turn anything up in my search. Maybe I dreamed it?

Natasha Hanova said...

We recently bought a Wii. Video gaming has come a long way since my childhood. :-)

Marjorie said...

I have a Wii! I played the newest Zelda game and it's story was pretty interesting if not a little weird.

Angela Felsted said...

Video games need to have stories. Otherwise they're not interesting.

Related Posts with Thumbnails