Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Q is for Plume (#atozchallenge)

No, I'm not confused. Well, not about my post, anyway.  Yesterday I participated in the Query Letter Blogfest, hosted by Alicia, Erinn, Holly, Pam, Quita. So today I'm posting my letter P. I figured it would be okay to switch the days, since they were so close together. Moderators? Am I out of line? :)

And, by the way, I want to thank EVERYONE for their fantastic, supportive, and constructive comments yesterday. If I haven't been to visit you yet, I am coming. I promise.

Welcome to today's post on the A-to-Z Blogging Challenge. My challenge, as I have chosen to accept it, is thus: I have asked on my Facebook and Twitter accounts for people to contribute random words beginning with today's letter. From Random.org, I have selected one of these words, and will below challenge myself to connect said word to writing.

For the letter P, I received ?? suggestions (my spreadsheet crashed, so I don't have the total number anymore). Random.org selected number 24: plume.


Plume

We are components of the digital age, cogs in the interweb wheel. We hop, we surf, we comment, we read, and mostly we type. I know, for me personally, I spend more time typing than I do writing by hand these days.

But who's to say that typing is better? No, I don't hear you telling me that necessarily. Sure, it's faster. It only takes a millisecond to hit a key instead of making your hand move a pen, involving all kinds of friction, to create, say, the letter S. Or even worse, to write a letter like T, when you have to pick up your pen or pencil and make TWO marks.

Oh, the horror!

It's slower. There's no question about it. But in this digital age, don't we need to take some time to slow ourselves down? Take the time to think through the plot and characterization surrounding the latest scene?

Maybe a piece of paper and a writing utensil aren't such bad ideas. Maybe I'll even follow in the ways of the Watery Tart and fill my bathtub and write.

In this crazy world, how do you slow yourself down? Do you ever write by hand? Or you a typing-only writer?


Today I'm taking suggestions for the letter W. Have any? Leave them in a comment. Thanks!

8 comments:

Wendy G. Ewurum said...

I look at your profile pic and think your W post should be: Woman Like Me....you look sassy enough to dish out advise to us mere mortals on how to be hot.
Anyway I"ve been thinking about envesting in one of those leatherbound recycled paper journal thingies to get writing by hand again. I need an incentive, otherwise i'll die of getting my thoughts out too slowly. :)

Carol Riggs said...

I used to write the rough draft of my novels all the time! (My first 10 novels.) I loved how "close" it felt to me. Then I taught myself to compose on the computer, and since it's faster, haven't written anything by hand since. :)

Natasha Hanova said...

Sometimes I like the scratch of a pencil or the glide of a pen on paper.

Josh Hoyt said...

That is an interesting thought about using pen and paper. For me though I think so much faster than I can type that there is no way I could out pace my thinking. Also I hate writing with pen an paper :)

Marjorie said...

Gotta love the Watery Tart! I really feel like sometimes the paper and pen is the way to go. Really my words flow better that way sometimes.

allison said...

I try to always write by hand now. I find myself thinking about things more before I scribble them down, and as I write, my brain has time to skip forward and figure out what comes next. I type too fast for that, so while typing I get to a point and have to stop and think, and often get distracted!

D U Okonkwo said...

No way, it's definitely about typing for me. I figured I'm less likely to get hand cramp that way. I can type for hours and it's fine, but I get hand cramp after one hour.

JK Rowling writes by hand, though.

LTM said...

you and TH had me all mixed up... P? Q? who knows~ ;p

as for W... Um. Winchester Cathedral. LOL~

Related Posts with Thumbnails