Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Zippy (#atozchallenge)

Welcome to today's post on the A-to-Z Blogging Challenge. My challenge, as I have chosen to accept it, is thus: I have asked on my Facebook and Twitter accounts for people to contribute random words beginning with today's letter. From Random.org, I have selected one of these words, and will below challenge myself to connect said word to writing.

For the letter Z, I received 36 suggestions. Random.org selected number 18: zippy.


Zippy

It's been a long month. We've zipped through several different topics together, some of which related to writing more than others. And now we've come to the last one.

Zippy.

I used to be a pantser. I wrote three novels as a pantser. I know it works for some people, but it didn't work for me. I didn't pay any regard to the tempo of the scenes, and make sure they continued with a decent pace while raising the tension each time.

Now I plot everything, each scene throughout the story. I focus on the tempo of every one. I want them all to be zippy, high paced (as much as possible, anyway). I want the reader to be unable to put the story down. I can't say I've succeeded, but I'm still trying.

How do you keep your stories feeling zippy? Are you a pantser or a plotter?

10 comments:

Siv Maria said...

Good question. I am a double zipper,ok sometimes triple :) Congrats on the challenge!

mooderino said...

I did a post about this some time back which you may find interesting (or you may not). You can find it here:Pace

well done on completing the challenge!

mood

Ann Best said...

I've have been a kind of panster at times. Like you, I now do more plotting first.
Ann Best, Memoir Author

RaShelle said...

Rosie - zippy is a fun word. This month has been crazy. Still, it flew by for me. Happy Saturday, girl! =D

Josh Hoyt said...

Congrats on finishing the challenge. I can't plot I loose focus go figure:)

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Rosie, we did it! Congratulations! I have an award for you!!

Wendy G. Ewurum said...

Rosie you've introduced me to two more words in writing lingo....of I am to figure them out. Cheers

LTM said...

I've become a plotting panster... :D As for zipping, I try to do the cliffhanging thing, and keep the suspense high. That also tends to keep the pace moving. It's tough, and I usually don't get there til revisions. If at all~ :D <3

Theresa Milstein said...

Congratulations on completing the A to Z challenge.

I'm a panster, though this last manuscript had more forethought before writing most chapters. But no outlines!

Rebecca Dupree said...

We finished the challenge!!! WOOO!

Related Posts with Thumbnails