Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Ordinary (#atozchallenge)

Welcome to today's post on the A-to-Z Blogging Challenge. My challenge, as I have chosen to accept it, is thus: I have asked on my Facebook and Twitter accounts for people to contribute random words beginning with today's letter. From Random.org, I have selected one of these words, and will below challenge myself to connect said word to writing.

For the letter O, I received 32 suggestions. Random.org selected number 4: ordinary.


Ordinary

As writers, we want—no, we NEED—our work to be extraordinary. We need to avoid the slush pile and make some agent take notice. We need to catch the eye of a publisher. We need to make the public notice us and buy our book. It calls for lots of footwork, both physical and virtual, to accomplish these tasks.

So, how do we do that? Can we just write about the most extraordinary characters we can think of, put them in the craziest situations that come to mind, make the writing as flamboyant as possible, and hope that we get someone's attention?

Am I alone here in thinking "no"?

Sometimes the best writing is the simplest.

Sometimes the most compelling characters are the ones who seem the most ordinary.

Why is that? Why is it easier for me to relate to some lazy high school girl who makes the teachers think she's smart when all she does is watch TV and read for fun when she goes home, or hangs out with her friends? *cough* Because I've been (something) like that. This doesn't mean that I can't relate to a forty-something man, or a five-year old who's never left a room (who's read that?), or an eighty-year-old dementia patient. It's more like I can't relate as easily to the five-legged superhero who always wins and gets the girl/guy and has super flame-throwing vision and...

You get the idea.

The best hero is the anti-hero. Jane Doe, with all her faults and quirks and the little things that make her human.

What kinds of faults do you give your characters? If you write genre fiction and your characters aren't 100% ordinary, how do you make them feel ordinary to the reader?

5 comments:

allison said...

I LOVED Room. I think if it had been told from the mother's POV, it wouldn't be as startling, so that's definitely extraordinary! I feel like I write regular characters, but try to make my writing pop by being really honest yet well-done, be it simple or more out there, depending on the story.

- allison writes

Siv Maria said...

Great post and if you want the best of ordinary then I nominate, Ordinary people. great book, great movie! BTW, thanks for stopping by my blog and deciding to stay awhile :)

Marjorie said...

I love fantasy, but I hate it when people just try to make things as outlandish as possible. The hero has to be someone you can relate to. Great post.

Wendy G. Ewurum said...

You've just freed me. I started writing something, my first attempt and its looking so ordinary I keep thinking what's gonna be the "thing" or event, etc and yet every time I sit to write something the only thing that comes is ordinary.

Holly Ruggiero said...

I agree, as a reader I like to be able to relate to the MC.

Related Posts with Thumbnails