Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Friday, April 22, 2011

Send (#atozchallenge)

Welcome to today's post on the A-to-Z Blogging Challenge. My challenge, as I have chosen to accept it, is thus: I have asked on my Facebook and Twitter accounts for people to contribute random words beginning with today's letter. From Random.org, I have selected one of these words, and will below challenge myself to connect said word to writing.

For the letter S, I received 58 suggestions. Random.org selected number 46: send.


Send

For me, the "Send" button on my email can be intimidating. Does anyone else feel this way? I'm not talking about just to send an email to my friend, or respond to a blog comment, but when I have added that oh so gentle Word or PDF attachment to that email and am sending it to someone for critique or just general comments. Honestly, I can feel the tip of my finger sweating as I reach for the mouse button.

Click.

And let the nail-biting begin.

Really, this is just the beginning, because I haven't started querying yet. How am I going to feel once I start sending the blurb for my baby out into the wilderness, waiting for some helpful woodland critter (agent?) to help it on its way to maturity and its reemergence into the world? I'm worried it will feel akin to an outright fever, with the shakes and sweat and nausea.

So, folks, I ask you: What's your way of handling the anticipation and waiting during the query process?


Also, today I'm taking suggestions for the letter Y. Have any? Leave them below. Thanks!

9 comments:

Jules said...

Think of that send as an improvement to "Did the mailman drop my letter?" And I just sent an email to my woodland critter gang to let them know you will be calling :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Natasha Hanova said...

I develop OCD every time I send a query to an agent. I have to double, triple, quadruple check the query for spelling, grammar, make sure I've spelled the agent's name right, review the submission guidelines for the kabillionth time….

As for the waiting part, I force myself not to expect anything back for atlas 90 days. This way I don't have that "waiting by the phone for the guy you just met to call" feeling every time I open my email.

Elena Solodow said...

The best way to handle querying?

Forget you're querying :)

Monti said...

Waiting is very hard. However, it's much easier if you go ahead with another writing project and forget you're waiting.

Monti
NotesAlongTheWay

Reece said...

I agree with Monti. If you're anything like me, you've got another half-dozen stories just waiting to be written down. Work on one of those for a while and it'll take your mind off the whole query deal.

Carrie said...

Great word today. I worry about hitting the send button sometimes. Sometimes I hit the send button to a critique partner and then I see something I want to change.
As for sending things to agents/editors I like being able to hit the send button. I think it is much faster than the agonizing wait that used to happen.

Laura Josephsen said...

I agree with the "do something else if you can" thought. I think the best thing to do while I'm waiting is to keep working on another project in the meantime. ^_^ I always keep in mind that writing is an art, and publishing is a business (and a very subjective one at that).

Gujjari said...

Great word for S. Nice post.

Nice to see you here through A2Z.

I am following your blog.

Please do stop by my blog and if you feel bore, bare me.

And if you like, please follow my blog.

With warm welcome,

http://mydaughtersdreams.blogspot.com

J.L. Campbell said...

The closer I get to hitting send, the closer I come to a meltdown. I deal with it by reading AGAIN just to be sure there are no errors (although I've checked a hundred times already) and then hit send before I change my my mind again.

Related Posts with Thumbnails