Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Balcony (#atozchallenge)

Welcome to my 2nd post on the A-to-Z Blogging Challenge. My challenge, as I have chosen to accept it, is thus: I have asked on my Facebook and Twitter accounts for people to contribute random words beginning with the letter B (as well as C, D, etc.). From Random.org, I have selected one of these words, and will below challenge myself to connect said word to writing.

For the letter B, I received 35 suggestions. Random.org selected number 2: balcony


Balcony

But, soft! what light through yonder window breaks?
It is the east, and Juliet is the sun.
Romeo and Juliet, Act II, Scene II 

Image courtesy of Wiki Commons
The balcony. The high ideal. What we all strive for.

But how often do we reach the perfection of our Juliet? What is perfection anyway?

Perfection is is possible to get near without help. But you can get close. You just need some help from you Montague posse. You know, the cousin that reads for you. The cousin that's a great editor. The friend who supports you unconditionally. The Friar that marries you to your work, but then gives your work a sleeping potion that causes you to kill yourself.

Wait, maybe that last one's a little off...

Anyway, the balcony stands above you. On it sits your novel, your poetry, etc. But you can't get there alone. As much as writing tends to be an lone tasks, in the end, it takes many people to make the work successful.

Who's in your posse? What do those people do to help you reach your ideal?


PS--I am also taking suggestions for the letter E. Got any? Leave them below. Thanks! 

27 comments:

Jeffrey Beesler said...

My fellow blogger writers are in my posse and they are teaching me to stick to my guns with this writing thing.

The Words Crafter said...

I'm trying to type with one of my kitties lying across my keyboard....

What a cool idea for posts! Love the balcony analogy.

The blogging world is my biggest help.

India Drummond said...

Umm, oddly, blogger ate my comment, and published only my email address. Could you delete that one please? LOL. I don't want the spam-bots to get me.

I had posted something about my best friend who talks me in off the ledge when the publishing world gets too screwy for me. Heh. It often does that!

E for echo?

Ann Best said...

Balcony. Excellent metaphor for writing. A great post! (And my daughter LOVES all the GREEN.)

Pam Torres said...

It never occurred to me to be so spontaneous. I'm racking my brain to come up with words that pertain to writing and here you are creatively drawing vivid analogies from random suggested words. I'm impressed and I look forward to following your blog!

Ellen Brickley said...

I have always dreamt of having a house with a balcony - I guess that's part of my balcony!

I suggest you blog about me for the letter E.

No, not really - how about echolocation? Finding something using sound alone?

Jules said...

Balcony, what a concept. I think mine just got condemned by the local building official. :)

Will you be my posse? :) and "Eggplant."
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Hart Johnson said...

*giggles* Yeah, avoid Friars bearing gifts... It really IS easier to reach that balcony if we have a few friends' shoulders to stand on, eh?

Laura Eno said...

Wonderful analogy - and may none of us know that Friar!

How about Egret. :)

Myne Whitman said...

I think that is part of the essence of the A- Z challenge, builing a platform to reach that balcony.

Holly Ruggiero said...

Nice analogy. Blogger ate my comment too. It must be hungry today.

Cheeseboy said...

Quite honestly, this is the best B for A to Z that I have read so far today and trust me, I have read a lot. I like the symbolism of the balcony. Your description was perfect.

I am not participating in a2z, but I will gladly read and comment on other's.

Marjorie said...

My fellow bloggers are my posse. Many of them I met on HPANA- A Harry Potter fan site funnily enough. I love them and they are some of my favorite people in the world.

Natasha Hanova said...

Bad Friar.

I like the connection you drew between balconies and writing and how writers need the support of others to reach their goals. My posse includes my writer's group and newly found support from fellow bloggers who help me believe in my writing.

Misha said...

Hmm... friends and family, crit partners, and the regulars to my blog.

All are awesome at what they do. ;-)

I liked what you did with B.

Let's see...

E is for... Elegant.

Talli Roland said...

Balcony is a great one -- especially for a writer. I've got some great people to whinge with about the world in general and writing (hey - maybe I should have 'whinge' as my my words!).

Tyrean Martinson said...

Great analogy.

rodney southern said...

Really digging your blog! Great job and looking forward to more. Following now!

Popping in by way of the A-Z Challenge. I’m blogging at:
http://rodneysouthernsays.blogspot.com/

nutschell said...

new follower here! I have dear friends who are amazing cheerleaders. They keep me going through all my writing difficulties. :p

nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Carol Riggs said...

How challenging, to make these words tie into writing! Um, E...how about Excuses, Exercise, Editing! :)

mooderino said...

Great post. E for East something I would think.
cheers,
Mood

Stephen Tremp said...

I haven't been to your blog in a long time. Me, I'll be doing E=MC. You could do a profile on Einstein. A very popular cult figure everyone knows.

Charmaine Clancy said...

Very original idea for B, and clever use :)

I'm lucky, I have a great posse at home, more than happy to nit-pick over my manuscripts and a wonderful online posse with blogs like this one.


Wagging Tales - Blog for Writers

August said...

What a creative idea for selecting your words!

As far as my own posse goes, I include my boyfriend, my friends, and my family, all of whom support my writing efforts. I also include the women in my weekly writing group who give encouraging (and constructive) feedback. And I include the community of writers on the internet who inspire me with their own efforts.

damyantiwrites said...

I'm asking for word-prompts for my flash-fiction pieces too, so I'm definitely going to drop a few words on E: Ether, Elfin, ELastic, Ethereal, ego, empathy, elusive, Etna, Eagle...hope that helps!

All the best with the posts, and I love this one on Balcony. Onward!

Jeanne said...

Loved your analogy and your way of deciding which word to use. A C word? Hmm. Claustrophobia.

I will be following your responses.

quxetrey said...

What a great resource!

clomid

Related Posts with Thumbnails