Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Scores, Strings, and A Crazy Little Thing Called Memberships

First, remember to sign up for the What's the Score Blogfest for June 1st. List songs you'd like to be in the soundtrack to your WIP, and win prizes just for participating. Click above or on the right for more details.




_____________________

Jessica Bell is organizing the promotion for her upcoming release, STRING BRIDGE. Think you might be interested in getting an ARC and posting a review? Being involved in the Amazon Chart rush? Her Blog Tour? Hope over to Jessica's blog and sign up.

If you missed the trailer:

_____________________

For those of you new to my life and woes, there's something you need to know:

I'm a recovering linguist.

This means several things for my writing. First, when I write, I have to focus A LOT on the voice, because I'm still trying to purse the academicese from my writing. Keeping my prose clean of the dry, scientific, observational sentence structures is tough. Seriously.

Another remnant of my linguist days are my society memberships. I'm a member of LSA, SLS, and  AATSEEL. I even freelance as an editor for the publisher of the journal associated with SLS. I'm in deep, folks... at least until I have to renew again in the winter. Then I can let those memberships laps.

But thinking about those has got me thinking about memberships in writerly organizations, and I don't know which are the best for a budding writer on a limited budget. For example, SCBWI is $85 for the first year. I'm sure it's worth it, but that figure about makes me want to faint. Membership in LSA was only $20! I could stay a linguist for four more years and still be able to buy lunch.

Okay, I'm done complaining.  SCBWI offers lots of great services and perks to members. The question is: do I belong there?

Really, that's the problem. I don't know where I belong. I could join SCBWI, but my work straddles YA and adult. Would SCBWI be a good fit for me? What about RWA (at $110)? I don't really consider myself a romance author, though there are strong tones of romance. How about SFWA? Well, a quick look at their website indicates that I'm not eligible, anyway.


So, help me out. What societies are out there for a writer trying to make her way? If you're a member, do you feel you get your money's worth from the dues? How do you make the most of your memberships?

8 comments:

Angela Felsted said...

If these organizations weren't so expensive, I'd put more thought into the matter of joining one.

Carol Riggs said...

Yeah, the SCBWI and other organizations ARE spendy. In general, it's worth it--but perhaps not if you're not even sure you belong there. Like, are you really YA. There is a LOT of support and info just truckin' around on the blogosphere, and it's Free, Free, Free! I wouldn't be in any rush.

In my case, the SCBWI was eventually worth the cost also because I found my agent there. But I belonged and attended conferences for about 10 years before that point!

alexia said...

Yeah, I haven't forked out for any memberships yet either.

Wendy G. Ewurum said...

Hey Rosie, Just dropping by to say I tagged you on a meme....

Laura M. Campbell said...

As an aspiring mystery writer with limited funds, I feel your pain. Mystery Writers of America costs $95. What?!?! I joined Sisters in Crime. It was only $40. I'm also a member of Pennwriters, Inc. I believe that was $50.

I totally signed up to help Jessica with the PR for her debut novel. So excited!

Jules said...

Again, you are over my head. I never was good at acronym's. :) But I hope someone can answer your question. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

LTM said...

I'm not in any of them... :o\ I would love to be in a writers group, though. I can only imagine how great it would be to connect w/other writers in the flesh.

But at the same time, I think we've got a pretty good little community going here, yes? :o)

Jessica Bell said...

Thanks so much for the plug, Rosie!

Related Posts with Thumbnails