Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Monday, May 16, 2011

Laughter is the Best Medicine Blogfest

 Jokes. I'm not the best joke teller.

But when I saw this on Leigh's blog, I had to join. I've been needing more reasons to laugh lately, and I hope being a part of this blogfest will give me a couple giggles.

Thanks to Leigh and Lydia for hosting today!

So, here's my attempt at telling a joke, which is neither writerly- nor work-related. It's kid-related. Maybe that's cheap. If you think so, sorry. But, then again, you don't have to read it :)

When I was a kid, I had a real problem with this joke:

What's black and white and read all over?

(It doesn't seem so hard to figure out when it's written down, does it?)

I never understood "read", but only "red". I knew the answer was a newspaper, but I had no idea how a newspaper could be red. I can't remember if anyone ever tried to explain it to me or not, either. If someone did, I was too stubborn, or else I promptly forgot again.

One day my parents were reading the paper over breakfast. My mother complained about a recent PETA incident, with people throwing red paint all over people (I was too young to understand what PETA was or why they would throw paint). But from this I realized the answer:

What's black and white and red all over?

A newspaper that pissed of PETA.

Let the collective groaning commence.

What to read more jokes that are (hopefully) much better than mine? Check out Leigh's entry for today, with the linky list at the bottom.

A happy, giggly Monday to you!

21 comments:

Gujjari said...

Wonderful post.

Jan Morrison said...

ha ha! I remember that feeling...
I'm not doing the blogfest but here is my joke:
A cowboy goes into a strange town. He stops at the saloon and notices that there's no one there but the old bartender. He asks the guy where everyone has gone.
The bartender says, "Wellll, we had us a visitor. A guy came into the saloon earlier wearing a paper bag shirt, a paper bag pair of pants and a paper bag stetson. He has been hauled out by the sheriff and everyone is at the hanging."
The cowboy asks, "Why are you hanging him?"
The bartender replies, "Rustling."

Sophie Li said...

Thanks for the laugh ... I think Im a member of the 'Posse' now. Yay

Is it bad that I still didn't get it on the first try? *hangs head*

Laurel Garver said...

My daughter tends to like more gruesome versions of the joke involving maimed zebras. I think that's funnier to a 2nd grader than a pun most of the time. Go figure. :-)

Kayeleen Hamblin said...

That's my kind of humor. Thanks for sharing!

RaShelle said...

Funny one, Rosie. LOL

Manzanita said...

I remember that black/white read all over from when I was a child. It's probably a good teaching device for kids. Happy Monday to you.
Manzanita@Wannabuyaduck

Stacy Gail said...

No groaning over here, I love that joke and your new spin on it. You helped me start my day off with a giggle! :D What a great way to start off a Monday.

Hart Johnson said...

*Tousels Rosie's hair* Oh, those damn homonymns... I think it took me a while to get that one, too... not helped, I'm sure, but the 'skunk in a blender' variation on the matter.

erica and christy said...

that would be a perfect joke to open a lesson on homophones for my 2nd graders. never thought of using that before. what better way to engage the kids than with a joke! thanks! and it's nice to meet you! christy

Lydia K said...

Yes, newspapers would be wise not to wear fur around PETA people, LOL!

JoseG said...

Very nice, Rosie. My favorite black, white, and red all over one is a nun falling down some stairs. Or is that black and white, black and white, black and white, RED?

The Red Angel said...

Hahaha wow. Nice one. xD This has been an awesome blogfest! So glad I participated!

~TRA

http://xtheredangelx.blogspot.com

LTM said...

LOL! Good one!!! And Anna Wintour would most definitely agree. Fur coat and all~ ;p

Yay! Thanks for playing~

Trisha said...

I'm not too great with jokes in general :P I'm more of a sarcastic person than a comedian ;)

Stephen Tremp said...

A PETA joke. Very funny. Now, I love animals. I also love to eat them. There has to be a balance to our universe.

Pk Hrezo said...

lol... I never understood this joke as a kid either. One day it hit me. Read not red. lol.... so silly. :)

Ginger said...

I was loling before but after reading Jan Morrison and JosieG's cmments I could be diagnosed of laughin-gitis.

Good one!!

Jon Mac said...

I like that :)

Title Loans said...

That's actually really funny, and a nice play on the traditional joke. Don't be so hard on yourself, it brought a smile to my face :)
Sara

Melissa Kline said...

Hee, hee. :) You're a wonderful storyteller.

~Melissa

Related Posts with Thumbnails