Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Friday, May 27, 2011

Whether to be Weathered by the Weather

So, my planned post will be postponed for a few days while I recover from the chaos that happened in my town last night.

A total of *five* tornado sirens went off between 5PM and midnight on Wednesday night. Hurricane-strength wind and rain ripped through our inland community. Funnel clouds were spotted in several counties. One touched down and destroyed a trailer park south of town.

Here are some pictures of what happened at our house.

This tree probably topped out around 40 feet. Last night the roots snapped and the tree collapsed. We're super lucky that it felt the exact way it did, because it could have taken out any of four houses and several cars on the street. Honestly, it could have collapsed through my bedroom ceiling.










But it did block the entire street. Traffic had to be rerouted through several different streets in our neighborhood due to all the trees and limbs that came down. At 7:30, though, the crew had already arrived to survey the situation.
Some perspective on how big the stump is.
And here's the other tree that snapped in half and fell on our roof. Luckily it didn't hurt anything (I don't think), and it landed mainly on the roof of our porch. It could have been much worse.



So, I hope the weather has been nicer to you than it has been to us recently. Have any scary weather stories to share?

11 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

Oh my gosh! You are so lucky! *phew!* We had a crazy storm last night too. But nothing like THAT!

Jules said...

I knew you were getting hit, I just knew it. I'm SOOOO glad you are okay, I've been worried about you.

We got the tail end of those, sort of overhead but nothing touching down. If you need anything shout out.
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Jan Morrison said...

not so bad here - just endless endless did I say endless rain. We get hurricaines in September usually. Too bad about the tree - looks so gorgeous - and so good it didn't hurt anyone or anything...
wow. weather is wicked wherever we wander.

Laura M. Campbell said...

Holy Crap! Mother Nature is on a rampage. It's insane and really scary. Seeing the comparison of the uprooted tree next to your house sent chills up my spine. I'm so glad you and your neighbors didn't suffer any significant damage and everyone is ok.

Kayeleen Hamblin said...

Wow! Glad you are okay. I can't imagine living in the middle of all those tornadoes. We did have the storm system that's been going through your area last week. It gave me 4 inches of snow instead of a tornado. good luck with clean up.

Carol Riggs said...

Yikes!!! Glad you weathered that weather. I'm sooooo glad I live on the west coast!! Have a great weekend, Rosie--storm free! :o)

Theresa Milstein said...

That stump is frightening. I'm relieved it wasn't worse.

mshatch said...

wow, very lucky that tree fell as it did. I think I'll quit complaining about no sun. glad you and your neighbors are all ok.

Joyce Lansky said...

The weather has been terrible in our area too. Where do you live? I wonder if you are close to Memphis.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and following. I'm now following you too.

Joyce
http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

Cleveland Dietz II said...

I lived on 45, too, until Wednesday night. The tornado hit our apartment. Blew the sliding glass door into our apartment (as one whole piece), ripped the roof off, then the drywall ceilings in both our living room and kitchen fell in over night because of the weight of water collected above them by the rain.

The whole building lost its roof, as well as several others in the complex, but everyone is fine and that is the lucky thing. Glad to hear you are fine, as well. Things could've been worse.

Pk Hrezo said...

Wow, Rosie!! Nuts! Thank God you weren't hurt. Lots of peeps were, I hear. Nature's fury is a scary thing. These pics are amazing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails