Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Monday, September 5, 2011

Struggle and Persistence

I have a relatively new crit partner, and in addition to trading work and brainstorming with each other, we've also been trying to keep each other accountable on weekly goals. Last Sunday when I sent her my goals for the week, I was horrified to see that I had 15 rather serious goals to achieve. She challenged me to completely mark 5 off my list. I'm happy to say that I crossed off 10 (which included writing this blog post).

One of my goals was to write for at least an hour per day on my new project. This proved to be harder than it seems.

My permanent desk muses:
one of my cats and the PowerPuff Girls
Saturday in particular was a day of writer's block. I struggled, staring out my window, messing with my cat, hoping that the PowerPuff Girls would save my from my strife. I stared at the words I had already written and though, "Eh. Who cares?" It was a rough day.

Then I came across this blog post from one of the fellow Campaigners. It helped me remember that my first draft doesn't need to be perfect. No one else has to see it. As long as I keep at it and keep working, it will come together in the end. And then I can come back and cut out that superfluous scene where they're watching a movie, right? :)

As long as I remember to edit the life out of it before I start sending it out to my poor crit partners. *innocent whistling*

We all have those days when it's hard to get the words out. But on a first draft, it helps to turn off the perfectionist inside. Let's just hope I can keep it up.


What do you do when you run into writer's block? How hard do you try to polish the first draft? Do you edit while you write? Or revise everything later?

8 comments:

salarsenッ said...

Ooh, I try not to edit while I write but find that hard at times. Getting the story written is most important. The editing will come. lol

Jennifer Groepl said...

I don't edit much at all as I write. I usually write obsessively until it's done and then spend a lot of time revising and editing. If I get into edit mode, I lose my writing mojo. Two totally separate processes for me.

Laura M. Campbell said...

I'm guilty on all accounts. I'm excited for NaNoWriMo this year and feel I bring more experience to the table this year. My mystery novel idea is brewing.

One way I keep myself on track without reading back over, editing, etc., I keep a journal while I write. This way if any ideas come up or concerns about a passage I just wrote, I can scribble it or type it on a separate document. I can use the journal when I finish the novel to help me edit. Good luck!

Alleged Author said...

Yup. The first draft can look like crap because it's just the process of getting words down on paper. Great post!

LTM said...

write through it! That's always the best thing to do. And of course you can always line edit the heck out of it. Great work! And awesome on your goals~ :o)

Jan Morrison said...

I don't suffer from writer's block - just reviser's block. argggggh.
mytomato.com works great - everyone can buckle down for 25 minutes.

Hart Johnson said...

Permission to write crap! I know this is crucial to really finishing first drafts. it's why I love WriMos so much--they don't have the leisure to edit... Congrats on making so many of your goals!

scribblingpencil said...

One of the author blogs I follow, Lili Saintcrow always calls her first draft the Zero draft and she even knows it's going to take a lot of edits to go through.

So it's okay if you write something that might be crap and you need to take a break by messing around with the cat. It's allowed. :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails