Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Welcome to my first post for the Insecure Writer's Support Group. And, if you're new, welcome to my blog.

This is something I've written about a lot lately because, well, it's apparently something that's been bothering me.

Recently, we moved. For the record, we did it all ourselves, with no packers or movers. Several weeks of packing, days of moving, a week of homelessness, a day of moving, and weeks of unpacking. To say the least, it was difficult to find the mojo to write during all of this.

Now I'm back to work, writing every day in the morning and working part-time in the afternoon. I started with major editing of my WIP. And I found that editing wasn't helping get my mojo back.

So, this is my concern. Once I actually regain my mojo, will editing and revision still kill my writing mojo? Does anyone else have this problem? I know that some people really enjoy the editing and revising. But if not, how do people manage their writing thrill and the revision process?

9 comments:

KarenG said...

Don't worry, it will come back! And it's the editing and revising that makes you write better the next time you're in the throes of creativity. You can't have one without the other!

Jennifer Groepl said...

Insecure Writers Support Group! Love that! I have the same problem you do with writing/editing. I find that physical activity and distraction do wonders for the creative side of my brain when my mojo disappears. When I'm editing, I have to shift gears before I can go back to writing. I take a run or a swim - clean the house - something not related to writing. Then I can go back to writing.

Carol Riggs said...

Yeah, I guess I'm one of those weird people who enjoy editing and revising. BUT only because I know I'm shaping up my story for a goal--to query, to become published, and I can see the novel becoming stronger. As I can see YOUR novel becoming stronger.

The other alternative might be to start a new novel. Maybe your mojo is tired of working on the same thing, and needs some NEW creative juices?

The Golden Eagle said...

If I feel like I've lost my mojo when it comes to writing, I usually try a new project; even a short story or flash fiction, just something different from what I've been working on.

Lorelei said...

I like the idea of this post.

And, no. Editing should invigorate your writing. You shouldn't think that it kills your writing. Possibly in the beginning stages,it would. That's why you need to get through the first draft, and don't go back until you are finished with the story. You might feel "Oh, God this sucks" But this is a first draft. Only you will see it. And I advise to not show 1st drafts to anyone. You let the story set for a week, more if you can. Then come back with fresh eyes and do the edits. The whole idea is to make it a better story. But you'll have to revise and reshape it many times and final edits get rid of the words you need to illiminate from it all together.

A lot of us have posted about these things on our blogs, so you can come and check out things on my blog--the posts are called WORDSMITH 101. But other people have excelent blogs on such as well.

What you don't want is to get too frightened to make those edits and do nothing. Writing is hard work, but if you love to write, it's all part of the process.

Alleged Author said...

The only thing that kills your mojo is fear! You can do it!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Don't edit - just start reading a few pages before you ended. It will come back!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I'm one those weirdos who love editing/revising. I also love the preplanning phrase. My least favorite (but I still enjoy it) part of writing is the first draft.


Good luck on finding your mojo. Maybe it's still in one of the boxes. ;)

LTM said...

oh, man, THERE! yep, my revisions almost had me crying, I was so depressed. I thought it was OVER. Good news, it doesn't seem to be. At least the betas say it isn't...

And that's my answer. Get some betas to encourage you. You'll get through this! Hang in there~ ((BIGGEST hugs))

Related Posts with Thumbnails