Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Friday, September 2, 2011

Review: Entwined

This book has been getting a lot of hype lately, and so when a friend recommended it, I thought, "Sure, why not?" It's got a beautiful cover, which sometimes is enough to suck me in, and the promise of a cute, light fantasy always draws my attention.

Review of Entwined by Heather Dixon

From Goodreads: Azalea is trapped. Just when she should feel that everything is before her . . . beautiful gowns, dashing suitors, balls filled with dancing . . . it's taken away. All of it. 

The Keeper understands. He's trapped, too, held for centuries within the walls of the palace. And so he extends an invitation. 

Every night, Azalea and her eleven sisters may step through the enchanted passage in their room to dance in his silver forest. 

But there is a cost. 

The Keeper likes to keep things. 

Azalea may not realize how tangled she is in his web until it is too late.



This book carries lots of promises: fighting against her entrapment, struggling for freedom. And, yet, I had several problems.

First, I have no idea how old Azalea is. Maybe this isn't the most important complaint, but the expectations a reader has about a character's maturity changes greatly whether the character is 15 or 18. There's a lot of life experience that can be packed into those few years, and so not to give her a specified age--only to state that she's "of age", which isn't defined until well into the story--made me think her about 18 and therefore REALLY immature for her age. Come to find out through some general mental figuring, she probably turned 16 through the course of the story. However, as the oldest of 12, she'd probably still be more mature than she came off.

Second, until about 300 pages into the 470+ page tome, Azalea doesn't WANT anything. She's simply reacting, moving and swaying the current but not trying to GO anywhere. She struggles against her confinement, but she doesn't take any major steps to do much about it. Actually, no, I take that back. The poor girl is confined in mourning and all she wants to do is dance. But what's her goal? Where's she going? Does she want to teach dance at the local girls school? Does she want to do something other than have temporary bits of fun? Not that I can tell. 300 pages in, she finally has a goal, and she starts to work toward an end game, but in the first 60% of the book, her struggle is aimless and meandering. And therefore left me wondering why I was reading it.

Lastly, characterization was lacking. Azalea felt somewhat flat to me, even overshadowed by her next two sisters' personalities. Perhaps it was due to Azalea's lack of goal? I'm not sure. It didn't help that there were 12 sisters all between the ages of 16 and newborn (and, might I say, OW!), their mother, their father, the Prime Minister, Keeper, the love interest, and several other men throughout the story. Sisters melded into one another in my brain, as did the male suitors over time. I can't figure out why she needed 12 sisters, because it made several points in the plot confusing, unless it was to explain the mother's illness (this is not a spoiler; it's in the first chapter). I think, had more attention been focused on who Azalea was and what she wanted instead of trying to juggle dozens and dozens of characters, this would have been a richer read.

With all this complaining, I must say that Heather Dixon creates a beautiful world with well described imagery that sucks the reader in. While I wondered several times why things were happening and what I wanted to get from this read, some of the beautiful images captured my imagination. I also enjoyed the slow development of Azalea's romantic interest, though there were times early on when this got lost because he would disappear (through understandable circumstances within the story) for close to a hundred pages at a time. In fact, her romantic interest was probably my favorite character of all. Maybe he should have his own book :)

Recommendation: Light, summer read, but if you've got something else you'd rather read, stick to your instincts.

Have you read Entwined? What did you think?

7 comments:

Carolyn Cummings said...

Was this a re-telling of the German fairy tale, the 12 Dancing Princesses? If so, that might explain all those extra sisters.

RosieC said...

Excellent question. Possibly. I'm not familiar with that fairy tale, so I can't say for sure, and it wasn't marketed that way (that I know of).

Jennifer Groepl said...

I saw this book in the library the other day and almost picked it up because it sounded like the fairy tale about the dancing princesses to me too. Glad I didn't because I'm not a big fan of descriptive and meandering prose and that sounds like a large part of it. Thanks for the review. :)

Lorelei said...

Hello fellow Campaigner! I didn't read this one. What I read wasn't quite as rich in fantasy. I read "Fallen" and it took me half the book to actually get into it. It was almost agonizing to get through far enough to be able to say, "I thought so." But I read the whole thing. Wasn't my cup of tea. But, then again . . . it sort of haunted me a little bit. But not enough to get me to shell out more $ for the next installments. (:
Hope to see you at Lorelei's Muse [;

scribblingpencil said...

It sounds like an interesting idea. Shame that there was confusion about the character.

I have a large TBR list already so this would only get read if I had the time.

Carol Riggs said...

I think you may have hit on something, with identifying the lack of goal in the novel, or not much of a sense of purpose in places. I agree though--beautiful imagery and prose, and I did like the romantic interest. But yep, he did disappear for long periods of time!

And yes, Azalea has 11 sisters because it's a LOOSE retelling of the 12 dancing princesses who wore out their slippers dancing every night. In the tale, the king offers a prize of marrying one of his daughters to any man who can solve this mystery of why the sisters need new slippers every day. One guy obtains an invisible cloak and follows them to their magical dancing place. He wins and marries one of the daughters.

Maria said...

I completely agree with your review! That's exactly how I felt about it. Loved the cover too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails