Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Migraine Saga

My husband loves a good rain storm. He's from Arizona, from desert where trees have green bark and the skies come in multi-hued tones. But there's no weather except for the monsoon season, which lasts about a month in July and August. Otherwise, the weather forecaster on the local news has a pretty sweet gig.

For me, though, weather means instant disaster. Changes in pressure result in massive migraines. This has been me on and off for the past several days.

I'm not looking for sympathy. I'm just stating the facts.

Here's the problem: all I wanted to do on Monday was write, but I couldn't move. For half the day I didn't even want to open my eyes. I was so close to being done with my latest revision of Fighting Fate that the sweet flavor mingled on my tongue with the bitterness of personal defeat.

Yup, there's no good, rational reason for it, but I felt defeated. Defeated by my own head, the same location from which all the great ideas for my fiction stem (or "where all the great ideas of my fiction stem from"—you be the judge).

On the bright side, I was 98% pain-free on Tuesday. Admittedly, I write my posts early, and it's actually Tuesday night as I write this, so I have no idea how my Wednesday will shape up. If you leave comments and you don't hear back from me at all, the odds aren't in my favor.

I'm tried of taking my medication for the migraines and am now searching for alternatives. I'm getting a Reiki treatment, I'm looking into acupuncture. Really, I'll take anything that doesn't involve putting more chemicals in my body. I'm not anti-med, but the Triptans I take drug me out so that, even when the pain is gone, I'm not functional. I resemble a drooling zombie, except that I still have refreshingly pink flesh and don't want to eat brains. I just want to smack the crap out of MINE.

So, oh blogity friends, any advice? I'm so far investigating Reiki, acupuncture, and renewing my commitment to yoga and meditation. But, seriously, anyone know of any home remedies?

6 comments:

Alesa Warcan said...

Scalp massage (focusing on the indentations in the cranium), cold moist cloth over the eyes in a dark quiet room, massage of the muscles in the shoulders neck and lower back can lessen the pain.
I've never heard anything that flat out dispelled headache without being pharmaceutical.
Take care.

Carol Riggs said...

Argh, I get headaches from barometric changes too--although they aren't migraines. Some people seem to be more susceptible than others. I haven't tried it, but I've read that an ionizer or humidifier may help. Maybe try Googling some remedies?

Jessica Bell said...

Oh my gosh, if you ever find a remedy please let me know. I've even cut out certain types of food to stop my migraines but nothing has worked. I get them too. So bad sometimes that they make me throw up. I can sympathize :o(

Al said...

My mum got terrible migraines when I was a kid. Hours and days at a time, haloes, vomiting the works. The cause - chocolate.
She stopped eating chocolate and didn't get another migraine for over 30 years. Then without thinking ate some chocolate a friend offered her. Bang another migraine
My eldest also seems to get migraine related to chocolate although only at times of the month.
My suggestion is maybe, just maybe there is some food related issue. Try keeping a log of everything you eat for few weeks and see if there is any kind of pattern between migraine and certain foods.

Jules said...

My sister swears by the "Nettie-Pot." She has migraines and swears this has helped her. Sure hope you find something because tis the season for those pressure changes.
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

alexia said...

That sucks! I don't know any home remedies. I've been getting weird pressure headaches because of storms lately, too. I just get weird pressure behind my eyes and can't visually focus as well.

Anyways, good luck! My mom is a Reiki master, though I don't know much about it myself.

Related Posts with Thumbnails