Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

One Week Down

This week classes started at the university again. I'm trying to get my schedule in order, and the pieces don't seem to want to fit into the neat little slots I've assigned for them. Figures. It's just going to take some time to sort things out, I suppose.

The biggest problem with trying to reorganize is that writing tends to fall to the side. I need some time when I can concentrate and sit in personal-zone silence (meaning, I can be at a coffee shop as long as no one's talking to me), but when my life is a mess, I don't generally make that time for myself.

So my plan for the long weekend (which, since I only have Mon-Wed classes, means I have until Tuesday) is to work out a schedule in which I can:
  • get my homework done reasonably and without extra stress
    • use extra homework time to write
  • get to the gym 3-4x per week
  • schedule time dedicated to working on my freelance projects
  • read at least one hour per night
  • write at least a couple hours every day
  • have time to spend with my husband

Pulling off that schedule would be a feat of the invincible. If I can work it out still come out sane on the other side, I do believe I should transcend to superhero status.

How do you keep yourself organized? How do you find time to write if you have a job/school?

5 comments:

Carol Riggs said...

Whew, your schedule makes me tired. Set priorities, I guess, and even if you don't get everything done, at least you'll have gotten the important ones. How did I write when I worked? Um...I didn't. :D

Jan Morrison said...

I just plug away and know if I keep making time for the important things (for me - writing, meditating, walking) I will have lots of energy for everything else!
Discipline is joy.

Jemi Fraser said...

My life is always crazy busy too - I usually just try to do what I can when I can. :) Good luck with it all!

Hart Johnson said...

I think a new schedule is the VERY hardest thing on any side thing you are trying to do. It is always a mess on my fitness plans, but the writing too, I imagine would be rough.

I trust you will get it sorted out, though. Good luck!

Rebecca T. said...

I sat down and made myself a schedule yesterday trying to make sure I fit all the important things in. I've actually scheduled some writing time, but I've made a pledge with another teacher that we will write at least 100 words a day. It's so doable that I find myself writing at least a couple hundred words every night. It's the most regular I've been in a long time, but it definitely takes work to fit it in. I did nothing last semester.

Good luck on making it all work!

Related Posts with Thumbnails