Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

What I'm Reading

Let me say first that all this reading—along with my schedule being a complete mess still despite attempts to smooth it—is slightly detracting from my writing. I will find the time to write more, and soon, but reading is so much easier, and more passive.

Maybe I should be reading that WIP from months ago? Hey, that's an idea. Perhaps I'll print it and start reading it again this weekend.

Well, in the meantime...

First, I'm (still) reading, on and off Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. While I kind of enjoy reading his secrets from behind the swinging door, it kind of also makes me never want to eat out again, especially being a vegetarian with other dietary restrictions.

I'm also currently reading The Hating Game by Talli Rolland. I downloaded this to my Kindle App on my computer, and so far I've really been enjoying it.  I have been taking a few minutes to wind down between working and my evening class by reading a few pages of this. Definitely a fun read.

Substitute Me by Lori L. Tharps, which I won from a contest on Charity's blog. So far I'm enjoying it. I love the dual-character focus of the narrator, among many other things.

Finally, while I was working on the latest WIP, I realized that my MC is an avid reader, and she needed something apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic and relatively classic to read. So I've been sampling, mainly pulling from my own shelves. Currently I've got my paws in Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad and Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. After that I plan to tackle We by Yevgeny Zamyatin and The Stand by Stephen King.

What are you currently reading? Do you have any other suggestions for classic apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic lit?

6 comments:

Jan Morrison said...

I'm reading a ton of books too. The one I read from last night and this morning is Little Man, What Now? by Hans Fallada. It was written by a German just before the nazis came to power and is about a young couple struggling in Berlin with a very soured economy. It is wonderful.
I'm also reading stories by Annie Proulx - can't remember the title but it is a collection of western stories. I love her writing. I'm reading a book on Rumi, I'm reading Rumi, himself. I'm reading a book on Buddhism. Gaaaack.

Carol Riggs said...

I don't think I've read that many post-apoc/apocalyptic novels. I guess Hunger Games was post-apoc...or maybe dystopian? Same with The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan.

I just did a search and these are Time's top books (these are adult books, though, rather than YA):

1. The Road by Cormac McCarthy
2. The Stand by Stephen King
3. A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr.
4. The Drowned World by JG Ballard
5. The Passage by Justin Cronin
6. World War Z by Max Brooks (about zombies)
7. The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
8. The Last Man by Mary Shelley

Claudia said...

Hi Rosie,
WOW! you do have a lot on your plate. I admire your efforts to read all these books on top of your class material. Kudos to you! I have three books on my nightstand and I've only managed to read a couple of pages from each one :(
I think it's also cool that you're reading a fellow blogger's book: Talli Rolland's "The Hating Game".
Keep on reading, Rosie!
Claudia
http://www.claudiadelbalso.blogspot.com/

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hey, I know the awesome Talli Roland!
Thanks for following and plugging my blogfest.

Theresa Milstein said...

I read several books at the same time too.

I really enjoyed The Hating Game.

I read Kitchen Confidential on and off too. Last part was when he was in Vietnam.

DEZMOND said...

I know all of those KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL secrets and that's why I almost never eat out :) Did you watch the charming TV series with the same title some years ago with Bradley Cooper? It was a lovely show which didn't last :(

Related Posts with Thumbnails