Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What I'm Reading

Right now I am enjoying the art of book-juggling. This isn't something I normally flourish at, but each thing I'm reading differs so much from the others that it's working.

Plus, I'm really behind on my GoodReads Reading Challenge, and I need to get a few books added to my total pretty soon.

So...

Power Ballads by Will Boast
Written by a college friend of mine (I'm boasting about Boast), Boast's collection of short stories is the winner of the Iowa Short Fiction Award. I'll save my thoughts for later, but I'm enjoying this quite a lot.
Review and Interview with Boast coming week of September 12.

Watching Willow Watts by Talli Roland
What a fun, lighthearted read. I'm only about a quarter through it, but I'm having trouble tearing myself from it. Of course, I knew I would, after my experience reading The Hating Game, and I couldn't wait to start this. Again, saving my thoughts for later.
Review coming September 14.

Monarch by Michelle Davidson Argyle
Okay, this one I'm actually reading for the second time. My first read was too fast. It's like when I eat chocolate chip scones—I know I love them, but I eat them so fast I don't really taste them. Well, I read Monarch so fast the first time that I just got the impression of loving it, but not enough thoughts to actually write a review. So, reading it a second time. And you know what? I'm loving it just as much even though I already know what's going to happen.
Review and Interview with Argyle coming in early October.

Entwined by Heather Dixon
This was recommended to me by another blogger. So far, not bad. I can't say I'm loving it. I have my reservations. I'll think about writing a review of it when I've finished.

I have to say, though, I do love the cover.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Admittedly, I'm not reading this very fast.  Those of you who have read it know it's another WWII story, and I have difficulty reading these. Even through the poetic language and the youthful perspective, the weight of the basic content drags on my psyche. So I read a little here and a little there, and eventually I'll finish it. I'm enjoying it, but it has to be interspersed with these other books of semi-lighter content.




What are you reading? Any recommendations?

10 comments:

Christine Murray said...

The cover of Entwined looks amazing! And I can't wait to read Watching Willow Watts! Not too long now though :)

Hart Johnson said...

Oh, you busy girl! I LOVED The Book Thief, but I sort of love that stuff that dances back and forth between dark and not quite so dark as that other part... (actually I think it's the humor and death's humility that kept it from weighing too heavily on me)

Talli Roland said...

Yay! Thanks for the shout-out, lovely! I just bought Michelle's book this week and I can't wait to get started. :)

Carol Riggs said...

Wow, you have a lot of books you're in the middle of. Yep, I love the cover of ENTWINED, too! And I'm jealous you've read THE HATING GAME already! I still have that to read...I need to put MONARCH on my TBR list...

Michael Offutt said...

The Book Thief is the pick for my book club I'm in. I don't know if I'll get to it as I want to read Monarch by Argyle and Foundation by Asimov as well as a few independent books I purchased.

Jessica Lemmon said...

WOW, you are AMBITIOUS!

I just plowed through One Good Reason by Sarah Mayberry (this is the 2nd in a set, read The Last Gooodbye first). If you've never read an SM book, you OWE it to yourself. How she has you sweating through your teeth one minute and crying the next is no small feat.

I just started SECOND GRAVE TO THE LEFT by Darynda Jones. It's a wacky, snarky paranormal romance that is nothing short of awesome. Never would have picked it up unless I'd met the author. She was so darling, I couldn't help myself. She doesn't disappoint!

Cold As Heaven said...

Right now I'm reading No Country for Old Men by Cormack Mccarthy. Very good >:)

Cold As Heaven

Natasha Hanova said...

Quite the variety. I just picked up a copy of EVERMORE. Hopefully, I get time to curl up with it later.

Jess said...

Wow, I thought I juggled books, but I've only ever got 2 or 3 going at once. I am seriously impressed!

And I'm in your YA group for the Campaign, so I look forward to getting to know you. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for using the time and effort to write something so interesting.

My blog:
rachat de credit rachatdecredit.net

Related Posts with Thumbnails