Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Wednesday Inspiration

So, I will continue to apologize for not being a good blogger-buddy.  By the end of September, my life should settle down some, and I will be able to return to the blogging world more fully.

My writing class is going well, sort of.  I have a nice idea for my first story submission, that's due on the 1st. But every time I try to sit and write it, I just stare at white. It's evading me and haunting me at the same time.  And, well, I have about 10 days now to whip out 10-15 decent pages, so we can add stress to the writer's-block equation.

As I was reading for class just now, I ran across this quote.  It comes from Making Shapely Fiction by Jerome Stern—a lively book, mostly written in crafted vignettes on how to improve your writing.  I would highly recommend it.
Trust Your Material
You are interesting. Your experiences, your imagination, your perceptions, your emotions are interesting.  What is closest to you is valuable for your art. Believe that. Your honesty and your talent are inseparable. Don't falsify by conventionalizing. Your uniqueness lies not in fulfilling cultural stereotypes but in expressing what you really uncover, like it or not. (246-247)
This passage—only the beginning to this section—was not assigned reading for class today, but I needed to read it, anyway.  I've been needing the push, I think, to believe in the story I want to write and allow myself to do so.  Keep your fingers crossed.

What inspiration have you found lately to help you in your writing?

18 comments:

M. said...

Believing in me and my talent is a struggle every day. Thank you for passing this along!!! I hope you have found some words to go with your white paper. :)

Heidi said...

I hear you on the craziness of September. University, you have killed my fiction writing time. (I've resorted to not sleeping much, but I don't expect that to end well.)

Good luck with the course. And thanks for the great quote.

Summer Ross said...

My inspiration usually comes from keeping myself reading, dreams, and writing prompts. Good luck with yours!

Jules said...

I think the whole world has gone crazy this month.

Inspiration..my good angel screaming at my bad angel. Gives me a headache but I love their dialogue. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

RaShelle said...

Hi Rosie - I completely understand the craziness. I like the quote from the pages - "I am interesting" - Yay!!!!

ps: I tagged you on the writing game. =D

Cheeseboy said...

I like the passage. Reminds me of the importance of originality and creativity.

Lynda Young said...

well..your contest helped me ;)
But if think my greatest inspiration (which isn't really inspiration) is reminding myself how much I want to write. Writer's block is terrible. I hope you break through yours soon :)

Carol Riggs said...

I know you can do it Rosie! I've seen your writing--you're creative and have interesting ideas. Don't let that blank screen beat ya. You could always psyche it out by running stream of consciousness (perhaps in one of the character's voices?) and then ease into it that way. Cut and trim later.
Good luck!

Hart Johnson said...

Good luck with the class writing! I have a hard time with short stories because there are SO MANY things you could work with, and making a coherent story becomes mammoth... maybe look for some writing prompts or parameters--three or four strange things that don't go together, and force them into a single plot. I have no idea why restrictions are so freeing, but for me, they really are.

RosieC said...

Glad to pass this on to everyone, Michelle. I've only found a paragraph or two since yesterday, but it's something :)

Heidi, no kidding about school killing, well, EVERYTHING! Someday we will be free!

Summer, those are great suggestions. I need to push myself with prompts more, I think.

Jules :) that does sound headache-inducing. Yes, September has been twisted into a bizarre world of agony. Not sure what happened.

RaShelle, you definitely are interesting. I'll be by in a little bit.

Cheeseboy, we all just have to remember to trust that originality.

Lynda, I'm excited to read the story, and should have time over the weekend. I'm so glad it helped you. Thanks :)

Carol, thanks for your confidence! I'll get through it at some point, I'm sure. I hate working with imposed deadlines, though, because they inspire so much anxiety in me :( And it's due a week from tomorrow!

Hart, no kidding, short stories are hard! 10-15 page limit shouldn't seem daunting, but it's petrifying. Thanks for the suggestions! I'll see what I can do to force it together.

Medeia Sharif said...

I'm inspired by my fellow bloggers. They're supportive and insightful.

Good luck with the story for your class.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I find inspiration in music and nature...

Enjoy your class. :)

Cruella Collett said...

I think I've stopped by this post and tried to comment like five times, but every time I find that I don't really have anything to say - if there are two things I am not too good at right now it is being a good blogger buddy (*snort* I almost typed blugger boddy) and believing in my own work. The thesis thing is exhausting me, and I keep switching from feeling that everything I produce is utter crap to thinking everything I produce is utter crap. Huh. I guess there isn't all that much of a difference... In the end, what I need to do is to try to ignore my own hefty criticism and just write already! *sigh* Not easy, is it?

Robert Guthrie said...

Knowing that I'm supposed to write keeps me going. How do I know? I don't know... my gut?

Kittie Howard said...

Hi, I'm dropping in from Brenda's blog. Thanks for the great quote. Wanting to write keeps me going -- most of the time :) Otherwise, just living life keeps me inspired.

Jo Schaffer said...

Yay for writing classes. I want to take one--it has been years.
Having an editor plow through your book counts, right?

eeleenlee said...

THe best revenge for all the haters and doubters is to be successful. THats my more like my motivation but its also inspirational.

Erica Woolridge said...

There's a book waiting for you :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails