Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Hone Your Skills Blogfest! (Come Sign Up)

Today is a special day. Charity Bradford at My Writing Journey and I have pooled our resources for a spectacular event.


In an effort to both push ourselves and support each other in the blogging community, Charity and I have decided to co-host the HONE YOUR SKILLS BLOGFEST.

The whole idea behind this blogfest is to improve our own writing skills by attempting a hone the story and the prose down to the basics while still being compelling. Not an easy task, to be sure. Check out this post from Charity for more discussion.

But we also need to remember that we do not write in a vacuum, and we cannot improve alone. We want help, but we also want and need to help each other. This is an INTERACTIVE blogfest in which we can share our own skills to help each other.

Here's the idea:
  1. On March 16, post a short story around 750 words, no more than 1000, in any genre you like.
  2. Read and give a critique for the person before and after you in the Linky List (and as many others as you can/want to). When you critique: a) find at least two things that really work, and b) at least two suggestions for how it can be tightened or improved.  
  3. (Optional) When you post on March 16, list one or two (online) journals where you plan to submit your piece after making revisions.
Charity and I, as hosts, will make it to everyone's post. She and I will also pick what we believe to be the TOP FIVE short stories. We will announce our top five the following Monday (March 21), and allow you to vote for your favorites. The winner will receive a $20 Amazon gift card.

Here are a few places to start looking for online journals.
  • Write 1 Sub 1's Short Fiction Markets/Contests page
  • See the sidebar on Charity's blog (down a bit) for SFWA (Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America) Qualifying markets
  • Estrella05azul has some online and print publications in her far right column
  • Duotrope's Digest allows you to search publications by genre and story length


Are you ready? Are you excited? Sign up below! We're looking forward to your latest short story :)

9 comments:

Erica said...

I typically pick excerpts from my WIP to enter into blogfests... hmmm a short story would be new. I'll have to see what I can come up with = )

Charity Bradford said...

I'm excited too! I'm glad we started early. I hope people join up.

Lydia K said...

This is such a good idea but I am super shy about posting my work online unless it's poetry, so I'll have to pass. But I'm looking forward to reading the other entries!

M Pax said...

Seems like a great idea. Will think it over. :)

Summer Ross said...

Just heard about this blogfest! I have you posted up on my blogfest page! If i have time I'll sign up closer to the date.

Subcreator said...

I've never been a short story writer so I think I'd like to challenge myself. Though only 750-1000 words... this is going to be a really tough challenge.

Cleveland Dietz II said...

Sounds awesome! Count me in.

Marie Rearden said...

Great blogfest idea!

Oh! I gave your blog some AWARDS! Yay!

http://marierearden.blogspot.com/

:), Marie

AllMyPosts said...

Well, I was procrastinating and the catastrophe has occurred!!! The linky list closed down!!

Anyway, here is my entry!! (submitted after closing the fest!! Ha Ha)

http://becomingprince.blogspot.com/2011/03/my-dads-job.html

with warm regards

Related Posts with Thumbnails