In an effort to both push ourselves and support each other in the blogging community, Charity and I have decided to co-host the HONE YOUR SKILLS BLOGFEST.
The whole idea behind this blogfest is to improve our own writing skills by attempting a hone the story and the prose down to the basics while still being compelling. Not an easy task, to be sure. Check out this post from Charity for more discussion.
But we also need to remember that we do not write in a vacuum, and we cannot improve alone. We want help, but we also want and need to help each other. This is an INTERACTIVE blogfest in which we can share our own skills to help each other.
Here's the idea:
- On March 16, post a short story around 750 words, no more than 1000, in any genre you like.
- Read and give a critique for the person before and after you in the Linky List (and as many others as you can/want to). When you critique: a) find at least two things that really work, and b) at least two suggestions for how it can be tightened or improved.
- (Optional) When you post on March 16, list one or two (online) journals where you plan to submit your piece after making revisions.
Here are a few places to start looking for online journals.
- Write 1 Sub 1's Short Fiction Markets/Contests page
- See the sidebar on Charity's blog (down a bit) for SFWA (Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America) Qualifying markets
- Estrella05azul has some online and print publications in her far right column
- Duotrope's Digest allows you to search publications by genre and story length
Are you ready? Are you excited? Sign up below! We're looking forward to your latest short story :)