Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Bernard Pivot Blogfest!!

First, sign up for the Hone Your Skills Blogfest! Mr. Linky is over to the right. Click Here or Here for details. It's your chance to get feedback on a short story to help you get it ready for submission. The submission part is optional, but you never know, right?
________________

Welcome to my entry for the Bernard Pivot Blogfest! hosted by Nicole Ducleroir at One Significant Moment in Time.


1. What's your favorite word?
I go through phases—frequently—but I would have to say right now the word is OBNOXIOUS. :) I'm also really enjoying CHUTZPAH and SLEW right now. Come on. Say it with me. SLEW.... How fun is that? :)

2. What's your least favorite word?
SPRZĄTAĆ.** It's the verb in Polish meaning "to clean" and no matter what I do, no matter how long I study Polish, I can't wrap my tongue around it. A close second is any word in Welsh with "ll" in the middle. I'm sorry, folks, but I have to think too hard to make that sound.

3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
Music. I tend to have different music associated with different characters or different scenes, and completely different playlists for different WIPs (WsIP?). I recently returned to an old WIP for serious re-vision. Walking to school, I turned on the old playlist, and the world of the story came flooding back in seconds.

And squirrels. I kinda love squirrels :)

4. What turns you off?
Robotic monotony. There are some automatic tasks that don't bother me, but only for limited amounts of time. One of my many daily tasks involves doing something so monotonous that my mind turns to mush, and it's very hard to get the creative juices flowing again afterward.

5.  What is your favorite curse word?
SPRICK. It's from one of my WIPs (WsIP?). It's strong, in the same vein as sh*t or so.

6. What sound or noise do you love?
The pitter-patter of little squirrels running across my roof while I'm working my my attic-converted upstairs study.

7. What sound or nose to you hate?
Car alarms. Seriously, folks, they're not deterring anyone. They're not getting anyone to call the cops and save your poor little BMW. It's just ticking me off.

8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
Would it be silly and cliché of me to say something like ACTOR? I've always had an obscene fascination with Hollywood. Oddly enough, though, I have no desire to write screenplays. Go figure...

9. What profession would you not like to do?
Anything where people's emotional or physical well-being is in my hands: doctor, psychologist, etc. It's too much pressure.

10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
"Come on in."



**If you want to hear it, go to http://www.ivona.com, click the Polish flag on the left (white and red), copy the word into the box and click Play. I think you'll understand, unless you speak Polish.


If you didn't enter the Blogfest, do you have any answers you'd like to share? I'd love to hear some of your thoughts on these. :)

25 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

I'm with you on the monotony thing! :o) Fun answers.

Jules said...

Polish? Man you are bigger than I. Car alarms are missed named. Should be called the, "locate the big thing I came" in button :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Summer Ross said...

Car alarms are really annoying! great answers

Cold As Heaven said...

It's amazing have many consonants they're able to pack into one single word in some Eastern-European languages like Polish and Czech. There are cities with names I'm not able to pronounce, like Brno and Plzen >:)

Cold As Heaven

Carol Riggs said...

Wow, I went to that Polish speaking site and I NEVER would've guessed that word was pronounced like that. My sympathies, yes.

Sprick! What a great word. The other day I was thinking someone saying "Frappuccino!" might make an interesting exclamation. LOL

Jen Chandler said...

Monotony makes me shudder. It's one of the many reasons I'm quitting my job soon.

Your answers made me laugh. And WsIP makes waaaay more sense!

Sprick! Mind if I adopt that one?

Cheers!
Jen

Arlee Bird said...

Some of your answers matched some of mine except not necessarily to the same questions. You had some good ones there.

Lee
Tossing It Out

T C Mckee said...

I'm stealing the word "Sprick". That's just too much fun. But I'll have to be careful. My teenage daughter is under the impression that if she calls the dog an arsehole when he tries to eat her shoes, its not really cussing if your an American using Irish slang. All my fault. Now I want to ground her for cursing but its too funny.

Talli Roland said...

Oh, don't get me started on Polish words! I lived there for two years and there were SO many words I just couldn't get to come out of my mouth!

LTM said...

"slew" sounds like hawking a lugie to me, so it's almost my #2! ;p I'm with you on #2... yep, music. What tha? Sprick. I kinda like that since sh!t is my fave curse... :D Squirrel. :D Car alarms... come on in! Yay!!! good stuff~ :o) <3

Alexis said...

Love the answers, and I totally agree with you on car alarms!

Lynda Young said...

lol sprick. Cool curse word.

J.L. Campbell said...

I do relate to what you've said about music being a source of inspiration. Car alarms going off in the early morning are a big annoyance.

DEZMOND said...

What's CHUTZPAH and do I want and need to know it? :))))

Kristin Rae said...

love your curse word invention!!

VR Barkowski said...

Monotony is the worst - mind deadening. And you're absolutely right about car alarms. The only thing they achieve is annoying bystanders.

Lydia K said...

Pitter patter of squirrels is cute. Unfortunately they sound a bit like the pitter patter of rats (I used to live in NY). Brrr.

Al said...

SPRZĄTAĆ now I know why I never even dreamt of learning polish.
Thanks for buying my book by the way, hope you like it when you get to it :-)

DL Hammons said...

We share music on our lists. It's a common theme I've been noticing as I make the rounds. Nice answers! :)

~Nicole Ducleroir~ said...

Hi Rosie! I'm sorry I'm so late getting here, but I didn't realize the Mr. Linky link took me to an older post. If I'd just clicked your home button earlier...arg :))

I love when the squirrels race across the roof over my head, too. I write in the bonus room over the garage, so I hear them every morning. Great sound! And sprick is an awesome word!

Thanks so much for playing along!

Hart Johnson said...

Okay, so I've had Welch lessons from a Cardiffian... okay, so really it's TAFF lessons (the language from the wrong side of the Taff river) but it is officially a part of Wales, and the trick is, almost every welch word has the alternative pronunciation of 'fuk'.

Charity Bradford said...

LOL, it's good to know you love squirrels. We have several in our backyard that always raid the bird feeder. They aren't even afraid of us anymore.

alexia said...

Monotony bugs me, too. And squirrels - LOL! They do amuse me.

Jemi Fraser said...

Robotic monotony is hideous! I don't know how anyone copes with it!

HowLynnTime said...

The engine retarder growls down a grade, a song of a life lived alone. It is the spirit of those who must move in restlessness, alway watching the horizon, always seeking someplace else. 80 thousand pounds and smoking breaks down a place named Cabbage, it is life. It stands between you and twisted metal. It is a pretty sound.
Some people feel the call of trains. I drove a truck, so that sound is my call.


Thanks for stopping by and I love your curse word...grin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails