Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Happiness is a Warm Draft

For some reason the original Beatles song is running through my head. I felt compelled.

This will be short for many reasons, the biggest of which is I'm running late and don't have much time, but I wanted to be sure to post today.

First, Nathan Bransford will be posting the finalists for his Stupendously Ultimate First Paragraph Challenge sometime today. Hop over to his blog to read and vote for the finalists.

[poor segue]

So I mentioned last week that I have gone back to revising my first WIP. I realized I had to completely change the backstory to make the present story more believable. Well, in the process, my brain has been ON FIRE, creating this trajectory for my MCs. So much fun!

This morning, in my half-awake-half-asleep, please-don't-bother-me-because-the-sun's-not-up-yet state, I was plotting out a scene in a park with my four main characters. Now bear in mind that, in my original draft, the story is told in 1st person. Well, my imagination took me to a place where my supporting male character separated from the rest of the group—or security reasons, of course—and my mind followed him. The scene evolved, and not only did I like it, but I realized it might be rather crucial.

Thus, a new draft was born (I believe this one is marked number 592, give or take a few hundred). I started working on it yesterday morning, and wrote over 1000 words yesterday in time that I didn't have to be working on it. But when the fire is lit, it's hard to contain, no?

So, in the spirit of Nathan Bransford's Stupendously Ultimate First Paragraph Challenge, I give to you my new and latest first paragraph.

Title: The Monarchy's Lies #592 (title subject to change, since I don't like it anymore)
Genre: YA Romance/Urban Fantasy

Anabelle Lindsky tugged at the collar of her shirt. She’d never felt comfortable with things around her neck—turtleneck sweaters, tight necklaces, even her fingers to check her pulse—but today was different. Today she would endure anything to get to the Mansion.

And, folks, I promise I'll get off my editing/revising kick soon. I'm just so excited about how this is going for me that I need to share. Thanks for reading. :)

What person do you normally use to narrate? 1st/2nd/3rd? Do you jump back and forth? Do you just know which will work best? How do you decide? Have you ever written something completely, and then started over in another POV?

8 comments:

Maria said...

Love the tease! I'm so glad the writing is going well. :)

Heidi said...

That's the debate I'm having with myself right now... what POV to use. I think in the end I'm going to go with limited 3rd person, but I definitely switch back and forth when I'm narrating scenes in my head and plotting.

RosieC said...

Thanks, Maria. Glad you like the teaser :)

Heidi, I think POV can be such a hard decision. Here's hoping the new attempt will pan out. Good luck with yours!

Jules said...

I'm just excited to see someone so excited about what they are creating :) Feels good doesn't it? :D
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Carol Riggs said...

Heeeey, interesting redo of Anabelle's story! I like the senses involved right off the bat--plus conflict too. Nice. Ha, now I will have that Warm Gun of the Beatles' song running through my head...

Jan Morrison said...

I like this and please don't stop sharing your inner writerly conversations - I love them! flicking between who is telling the story is something I need to work with constantly. I just need to reign it in somewhat - my first book was told from four peoples pov - it was tricky but I think it worked - I need to haul it out and give it a good hard pruning!

Katie Gates said...

Hi Rosie, I linked over here from Lydia Kang's blog, and I'm glad I did. I love the energy in your post, and I congratulate you on having a great time with the revisions. It sounds like your right brain took you on a ride, and you went with it. To me, that's the only way. I've written 2 novels (one published), and both times I used 3rd person limited omniscient. That narrative voice seems to work for me. All scenes, sites, smells, etc., are witnessed by the protagonist. Within those boundaries, I let the right-brain magic happen and end up just taking a lot of dictation. Happy writing to you. I'll be following your adventures... Hope you'll stop by my blog as well.

Talli Roland said...

Ooh, fantastic first paragraph! I want more!

Related Posts with Thumbnails