Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

NaNo - Down and Dirty

I've signed up for email notifications from my local forums on NaNo's website.  In addition to the usual write-in organizing messages and tips on how to get your word count completed while drunk college students yell outside your humble abode (*cough* my humble abode), there has also been a discussion as to what writing programs/software people intend to use to reach their 50K.

So, I thought, what the hell?  Word only gets you so far, right?  Maybe I'll try something different.

First, I downloaded yWriter5.  Of course, I'm a dedicated Mac user, and this software is specifically designed for Windows.  BUT there's a work-around.  So I gave it a shot, downloaded the intermediary program to make it work, and tried it.  I imported a couple hundred words from something else and then tried to edit it.  DENIED!  Apparently there will be no editing to imported text.  Why? Don't know, but someone else on the forums had a similar issue.  So, I thought, back to Word.

Then another message came through.  The woman said she had tried Schrivener, but was going to stick to yWriter5.  I thought, hmm, what is this Schrivener you speak of, and decided to check it out.  Bonus one: there's a Mac-friendly program already--meaning, no work-around programs. *happy dance*  Bonus two: it's a lot less DOS-like and a lot more user-friendly interface-y.  Bonus three: even though the software isn't free, it has a trial period that goes through Dec 7 so NaNo users can try it out.  Bonus four: if you don't win NaNo, you get a 20% discount at the end just for trying.  If you DO win NaNo, you get a 50% discount.  Bonus five:  How many bonuses do y'all need!?!

So, I've set up my NaNo template and I'm going to start cork-boarding this weekend (I'm a little late in the game, I know, but I've always been more of a pantser).  I'm also going to import the novel I've been working on (and just finished rewrites for last week *happy dance*), and get all of my info in one location, including my links and JPGs of characters, etc.  I think this program seems entirely awesome, and I can't wait to really give it a spin.

Thus endeth the advertisement.

How are you writing your NaNo novel?

8 comments:

Summer Ross said...

I'm a die hard in microsoft works student edition. Its beautiful for my writing. I understand it, and if anything goes wrong I basically know how to fix it. LOL
Good luck!

Cruella Collett said...

Huh. I have to ask - what's the benefit of not using regular, MS Word (other than the obvious that you might not have it installed). I've heard of script writers using specific script writing programs, and I've heard that apparently there are other regular-writing writing programs as well. But I've never really gotten why people use them. What's wrong with Word? (And yes, I get that it is different for Mac users, so I think I get why you use it, but it the rest of them I'm curious about...)

Since you are using a different program, though, it sounds like you've done a sweet deal. Yay you - good luck with NaNo!

Summer said...

I've heard so many good things about Scrivener! I tried yWriter5, but I didn't like it. I like all my notes in notebooks, not on the computer. And when it comes to the actual writing, I need it in chronological order in one big document. :)

RosieC said...

Summer R, I hear you. I've been a die hard Word user forever. *shrug* I'm just giving it a test-run.

Cruella, honestly, it's kind of a bells-and-whistles thing. It's by no means necessary. Check out the tutorial video here http://www.literatureandlatte.com/videos/ScrivIntroSmall.mov or http://www.literatureandlatte.com/videos/Fundamentals_WinYouTube.mov I like having the ability to keep all my notes together with my pictures and my actual text. Plus it seems easier to rearrange scenes if need be. Finally, the NaNo extra is that you can export it to an RTF that automatically scrambles your text but keeps words from repeating next to each other.

Bottom line: you don't NEED it, but it seems highly useful.

Summer, you keep your notes on actual paper? Gosh, I can't keep myself organized that way. Just this morning I found a restaurant napkin from a couple of weeks ago in the bottom of my purse!

Boonie S said...

Interesting piece. Thanks. I never knew that Word wasn’t up to the job in hand.

Have a nice day, Boonie

RosieC said...

Boonie, really Word does just fine. I tend toward the geek-zone and enjoy software with extra perks. Like I said, just trying it out.

Jackee said...

Good luck, Rosie! You are so brave to do NaNo. Have you done it before? I've never, but generally up my word count for Nov. instead.

And I've been contemplating Scrivener--now I really might have to try it! Thanks!

Charity Bradford said...

I wanted to buy a MAC just so I could get Scrivener. The Mac version has been around 6-8 years? and is AMAZING! It will take a while for the windows version to catch up.

Enjoy it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails