Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Jumping Off the Cliff

That's what my boss calls it, anyway.

The time has come, since I haven't made the announcement official yet in the blogosphere (though, if you're my friend on FB, this may not be news to you).

I'm pregnant, having a boy, due March 16th.

While I'm super excited (and not at all ready, so I'm glad I still have three months), I'm also trying to be practical. This involves wanting to finish reading work by my author friends before then, finish some heavy editing on my own work, and even possibly start querying before March. I think *fingers-crossed* if I can get my novel in good shape by March, querying can happen at, um, SOME point while the baby's super tiny. Then, if an agent actually picks me up, I'd be willing to bet it wouldn't be while the baby's still so little and I'm so exhausted that I can't open my computer.

Right? *whimper*

So in the next few months, I'll be slashing and burning a minimum of 5K (hopefully closer to 8K), critiquing, blogging, and fitting in as much as (if not more than) physically possible before I jump.

Any suggestions on how to juggle babies/small children and writing and jobs would be both helpful and gratefully accepted.

5 comments:

Andrea Franco-Cook said...

Congratulations on your pregnancy. As a mother of three boys, I can tell you they are a lot of fun. They keep you running.

In regard to the query/publishing gig, the old adage-- "expect it when you least expect it" will probably ring true in your case. At least that's how things work for me. It seems opportunity knocks on my door at the worst times. Guess you have to answer. Usually it only stops by once.

Again, congratulations on your little boy. I really love the newborn baby smell, maybe miss it a little. Just a little though. I still haven't forgotten about the 3 a.m. feedings etc. Nevertheless, children are a blessing and a gift.

Lynda R Young said...

If I haven't said it already, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

It's an awesome deadline helper, but make sure you don't over-work yourself. And be careful not to rush the query.

Sarah B said...

Congrats! Best decision you'll ever make. Though you won't think that every day. :)

Cold As Heaven said...

We have survived with two boys, but I don't remember exactly how. Now little boy is 10 yo. and life is smooth and easy again >:)

Cold As Heaven

Carol Riggs said...

Ha, "jumping off a cliff." Men! (your boss is a guy, right?) I think you'll be able to do some things while Baby is small. It's much harder during the second baby, if you have one of those. But you'll also want to rest even with one. Make goals but don't cling to them too hard. ;o)

Related Posts with Thumbnails