Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Desperately Seeking Reading

Don't let the title of this post fool you. I read plenty, and not just the random stuff that I edit for work, but real fiction. This, of course, not only includes published books, but my own work (over and over and over and over and over and...) and the work of my critique partners. So, yeah, lots of fiction.

However, in terms of the non-work (i.e., non-editing and non-critiquing) reading, I have strayed from the YA genre as of late. I've been reading all kinds of books, but none of them seem to be the standard YA that I love and adore.

Not really sure what happened there. But, seriously, it's been a while. Welcome to my YA drought.

Okay, no, I know what happened. I was given books by several people that I either need to share with others who I will see over the holidays, or I've just had them on my shelf for so long that I'm starting to feel guilty that I haven't given them back. So, trying to clean off the shelves, so to speak. 

Anyway, so in my personal pining, I just wanted to share with you what I *want* to read, especially over the holidays or as soon as we get back from the holidays.

The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. Nope, haven't read a one of 'em yet. I know. I must be the last vestige of lameness around. It'll happen. My nephew owns book one at the least (*ahem* bought it for him last Christmas *ahem*), and possibly more, so we'll see if I can speed my way through at least the first one.

UPDATE: I just discovered that the entire trilogy is available through the Kindle Lending Library for free. Granted, you can't "borrow" more than one book per month, but, heck, how awesome is that?!?

Fallen, Torment, and Passion by Lauren Kate. Maybe I'm just a sucker for a cover, but I can't tell you how much I want to read these books. Over the summer, I almost picked up the first one from the library, until I remembered the five book reviews I had promised out in the next several months, and couldn't justify it. Really, all I want is to curl up with them on my Kindle. Want to hear something ridiculous? My local library only has #2 in ebook format. I have no idea why.

Paranormalcy, Supernaturally, and Endlessly by Kiersten White. Yup, really want to read these, too. And, yes, I know that Endlessly isn't out yet. I don't care! You know, a few months ago I hosted a give-away, and ended up sending out a copy of Paranormalcy to one of the winners. Oh, that hurt, when I SOO want to read it, too. *sigh*

Okay, enough for my whining about what I want to read. Now I just need to do it. I really think that come the new year I'll be able to read more along these lines. Here's hoping, anyway. :)


What do you want to read right now? What are you reading? Is there anything you've been dying to read but haven't been able to get your hands on it?

6 comments:

Nazarea said...

I LOVE THE HUNGER GAMES!!!! Hope you enjoy them too!!

Carol Riggs said...

I've actually read all of these--first 2 in the HG series and the first in the others, anyway. That's as far as I'm going, but I enjoyed them still, HG and Paranormalcy especially. What a great deal that you can get the HG on the Kindle lending library!! Don't worry about the second in a series til you decide if you like the first. LOL

Patsy said...

I've got a whole shelf of books I'm wanting too read - including some I was given last Christmas ... and I've asked Santa for more. Maybe I should give up sleeping and read instead. Can't think how else I'll catch up.

Al said...

I am reading a mix of mid 20C history (research) and Sense and Sensibility.

Jemi Fraser said...

You'll love the Hunger Games series! I have the other 2 series here on my wishlist too :)

Michelle Hartz, Ph.Z. said...

I'm stuck on books that I need to read, but I'd rather start over on the Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini so I can read the 3rd and 4th books.

A YA novel that I would recommend is XVI by by Julia Karr. She's local here to Bloomington, and she wrote the first draft during NaNoWriMo a few years ago. I was skeptical when I went into it, but I really enjoyed it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails