Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

An Award :)

First, if you haven't heard yet or you're still on the fence, please join me and Charity for the HONE YOUR SKILLS Blogfest on March 16th. It's a chance to try your hand at a short story, get feedback from fellow writer-bloggers, and encouragement to try and publish it. We'd love to have you, so just click the link above or on the sidebar to join.
_____________________________________

Last week, I was given an award from Allan Russell at Publish or Perish AND from Michelle at Perfecting the Craft...

UPDATE: I also just received this award from Kristina at KayKay's Corner. Man, am I feeling the love or WHAT?


Kristina also gave me this award:



Thank you so much, Al, Michelle, and Kristina!

For those of you who don't know Al, he is the author of Veiled in Shadows, the beautiful cover of which is staring at me from the top of my to-read pile. Then again, maybe I'm just a sucker for the big blue eye :)

(On a side note, stop by on Monday for a guest post by Al.)

According to the rules of the award, I should tell you seven things about myself and then pass it on. Here's a random assortment of things you may not yet know about me. I'll limit myself to non-writing things this time. For other random Rosie facts, you can check out these other posts: from here, here (the the truth behind it), here, and one more.

  1. As a recovering linguist, I'm a language junkie. I'm not fluent in any language (I sometimes contend that I'm not even fluent in English), though my husband likes to argue this point with me. Anyway, over the few decades of my life, I've studied (in no particular order) Spanish, French, German, Russian, Polish, Macedonian, and Welsh officially. If I have a dictionary, I can usually read Czech, Slovak, Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian, Bulgarian, and Ukrainian well enough. I also know lots of random syntax facts about Icelandic, Mandarin Chinese, Korean, and Dogon (my friend is currently working on a Dogon grammar).
  2. I'm a graduate student in my last semester of coursework. There exists about a 2% chance that I will write a dissertation (with a 3% margin of error).
  3. If I were ever to write a dissertation, I would write it on Polish syntax and the reflexive particle się. (I promise, it's a little more interesting than Wikipedia makes it out to be.) Last summer I got to meet Norbert Hornstein, whose most recent syntactic framework is called MOVE! (yes, with the exclamation point), and talk to him about my ideas using his framework. We argued a lot. We disagreed even more. It was fun and discouraging.
  4. My graduate employment consisted of teaching Russian for only one year. I have never worked so hard. I taught in the 2007–2008 school year. Many of my former students were freshmen that year, and so are seniors now. I occasionally run into them on campus, and sometimes they even invite me out for a drink to catch up. :)
  5. My current GA employment is working as the Managing Editor of the for Journal of Slavic Linguistics for Slavica Publishers. I prepare journals and books for publication. In addition to the journal, which I have worked on since 2006, I am currently preparing a book on Macedonian. It should be finish in the next month and be published by summer.
  6. I have never published anything regarding linguistics. I've only edited other people's work. This doesn't bother me, though my colleagues think it should.
  7. I had no intention of this turning into a Rosie's-grad-school-life post. Just to mix it up, I'll tell you that I got new glasses last week. They've got the Transitions lenses, too. I can't begin to tell you how excited they make me :)

Okay, now for passing on the love.

Carol at ArtziCarol Ramblings
Jan at Crazy Jane
Sallee at The Highly Educated Housewife
Medeia at Sharif Writes
Charity at My Writing Journey
Dezmond at Hollywood Spy

Thanks again to Al, Michelle, and Kristina for the award. :) Have a great Wednesday!

13 comments:

DEZMOND said...

Спасибо за награду, я глубоко тронут!
Я положил награду на полку в моем блоге так что все мои читатели может увидеть ее :)

Now, where on Earth did you dig out Dogon language? :))

Kristina Fugate said...

Congrat on the award. I was actually popping by to tell you I gave you the Stylish Blogger and One Lovely Blog award. Lol :)

RosieC said...

Holy moley, am I feeling the love :) Thanks!

Carol Riggs said...

Yay, woohoo! Congrats on the awards, and thanks so much for passing them on to moi! I enjoyed reading about you; your list of languages is very impressive. What a CUTE photo of you! I love it. :)

Jules said...

Okay most of your life is so far over my head I needed a ladder just to read it. :)

But congrats on the awards, definitely deserved! :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Jules said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Charity Bradford said...

It was great fun learning more about you! I now know who to come to if I ever need something translated.
Fun stuff and thanks for the award.

Lynda R Young said...

Congrats on the awards. Your langauge skills are impressive. I've always wanted to learn another language but never had the patience.

Jan Morrison said...

Wow! I'm so impressed with the languages you know and your enthusiasm! Thanks for the award and hope to do well by it...

Zan Marie said...

Congrats and I've doubled both awards at my blog. Don't do all that again, though! ; )
Zan Marie
www.intheshadeofthecherrytree.blogspot.com

Hart Johnson said...

I love your love of linguistics and the fact that you are so geeked on it that you like the idea of a whole dissertation on one word.

Congrats on the awards! I need to think about the same two...

Al said...

Congratulations on your awards! You well and truly deserve them!
Thank you also for the wonderful shout out :-)

Erica Woolridge said...

Not too many people can say they're the Managing Editor of the for Journal of Slavic Linguistics...or that they know what slavic linguistics is lol.

Related Posts with Thumbnails