Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Writing Over the Holidays

Whew! Getting writing done over the holidays sure is hard, isn't it? I've been at my in-laws now close to two weeks, and have hardly opened my computer, much less Scrivener. Granted, I've been reading like a madwoman because, well, I can. But I haven't been writing.

This morning, my husband and I went and spent a few hours at a coffee shop. He wanted to get out of the house to get some work done, and I tagged along to do my own work. And MAN am I rusty. It's only been two weeks, and the words were NOT flowing. I tried editing my NaNo chapters, and realized I needed a new chapter 2.5. I tried working on a new project, and only wrote about 100 words.

The moral of the story: write every day!

Okay, now, that being said, I can't go back in time and write over the past 14 days. I need to get back into the swing of the writing, find the groove and the muse.

So, I ask you: What do you do to find your groove after a break, be it from the holidays or other reasons? Any tips?

5 comments:

Jules said...

Innate objects. I try to have conversations with them. Of course, don't try this with anyone around :)

Here is wishing you a year full of too many words to write them all! :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Carol Riggs said...

Yeah, I know whatcha mean by getting rusty! Been there, done that. To get back into the swing, I have to re-read previous chapters and do a little editing. That seems to get me into the flow of thinking about words and sentences and my characters again. Good luck!

RosieC said...

Jules, ha! I do that already! :) I don't get worried when other people here, but when the pillows start talking back. Haha!

Carol, I'm trying to start something new, so I have nothing to go back and reread :(

Hart Johnson said...

Good luck getting back to it! I have a terrible time when I travel--I actually try to work on something DIFFERENT (a short story or something) because my voice is all out of wack) HOWEVER, I've been home and terribly productive, so... so far so good on my end.

Charity Bradford said...

I think the only way I'm going to get to write again is to send my kids back to school and convince my hubby he needs to actually go to the office.

Every time I get near my computer during the holidays I get the stink-eye. (He's still sleeping right now)

Good luck getting back into it. I'll be right there with you...next week. :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails