Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

In Which I Have a Girlie Moment

It's Wednesday, December 8. Today I will turn in my final portfolio for my writing class and take my German exam, thus closing out this semester. By 8:30pm EST tonight, I will be FREE of academic obligations for almost a month.

So what am I doing to celebrate, you might ask? I'm going to Chicago to hang out with my old college roommates, reconnect with a high school friend I haven't seen since, well, high school, and get my hair done with the most amazing hairdresser. Hence, the girlie.

I am a woman cursed (or blessed—the grass is always greener, yada yada) with thick, curly, frizzy hair. I hate dealing with my hair because it can be such a tangled mess. When I do my hair—i.e., blow dry and straighten to defrizz—it can take at least 30 minutes. And for Thanksgiving, when I was fixing my hair, I fried the circuit in half the house by having the flat iron, hair dryer, and a space heater all on at the same time.

How excited am I to go to Chicago? Oh so very! In August I put up pictures from my college roomie's wedding. Said amazing hairdresser came from Chicago to Wisconsin to do the hair of everyone in the wedding party, and while she cut my hair on the loading dock of a building at Beloit College, she told me she was getting certified in a new type of hair treatment to straighten hair. This weekend, I will have this done. It's organic and relatively chemical-free. And it's supposed to be so amazing that I can walk straight out of the shower and let my hair air dry with little to no fuss.

I'll let you know how it goes, but hopefully the girl in the picture above will never have such horrid hair again!

6 comments:

Creepy Query Girl said...

wow, that does sound amazing! Can't wait to hear how it went!

Hart Johnson said...

I'd forgotten you lived clos-ish to me--I mean not superclose, but in the grand scheme of things... We are only 3.5 hours from Chicago, though due east.

I have curly/frizzy hair (though sadly, not so thick) but i'd really like to accentuate the CURL (friz can happily go, but I look dumb with straight hair--I just have too much head)

Whatever the case though, I hope you love yours! And have a great break and a good time with your friends!

Carol Riggs said...

LOL, love that pic, Rosie! We hope to see an "after" pic too, yes? Yeah, hair like that must be frustrating. My daughter has straightened her hair on occasion too, although lately hers hasn't been as curly, in past years. Maybe you'll outgrow it? Heehee.

DEZMOND said...

I say SHAVE IT OFF :)) I'm joking off course, men tend not to notice the hair on women, but you know that don't ya? :)

Jules said...

I'm the grass is greener girl. Poker straight, won't curl girl. So uber straight and short is my destiny. :)

I'm jealous of Chicago. Kingston Mines is favorite blues bar of mine, I loved the place.

Good luck with the straightening and the visit. Be safe and have FUN!

Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

RosieC said...

CQG, there will be pictures. I promise a report.

Hart, yeah, close-ish. At least the states are neighbors, but we're so much closer to KY :( It only takes 2 hours to get to Louisville. I'd much rather live up north, esp. since I have a ton of family in the Detroit/Ann Arbor area. And thanks! I'm excited to see my friends up there.

Carol, glad you like it! :) And I would love to outgrow it, but in the meantime, off to Chicago!

Dez, NOOOOOOOOOOO! :) I've had the too-short hair before in my life and, trust me, it was not pretty. And my husband just said to me "But men will notice shaved heads."

Jules, thanks. Where is this Kingston Mines of yours? Maybe I can get someone to take me over there.

Related Posts with Thumbnails