Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Friday, December 31, 2010

Ballet Bragging

I can't keep this to myself. I went to see the Nutcracker twice this year. Before this year, I can't say I was a huge fan of the ballet. I wasn't raised going to the ballet or the opera. I only became interested in musical theater in high school. Before college, going to the theater meant the movies, and usually the $1 theater (back when they had those).

But we saw the Nutcracker twice. Why? My niece, who's 11, was Clara this year in Ballet Arizona's professional production. Each year, the ballet had children audition, and usually picks three Claras to split the performances up, but this year there were only 2, and one of them was my niece. And if that weren't enough to have my entire extended family bursting at the seams with pride, she was in one of the shows which the New York Times reviewer attended. And if THAT weren't enough, she gotten mentioned BY NAME in not one, but TWO articles—one on his blog, and one that was actually in print last week.

So I offer my congratulations to her and my bragging for your entertainment.

What surprises have you gotten this holiday season?

3 comments:

Jules said...

I wondered about the "Bragging" bit in the title, now I know. And by GOLLY you have every right to brag :)
I'd become a fan of ballet too!

Wishing you a very Happy New Year!
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Cheeseboy said...

2 times to the ballet in a month? I suppose I could handle it if I had a relative in it. Kudos to you though.

Hey, following you on Twitter now.

Jemi Fraser said...

That is FABULOUS!!! Congratulations to her :) I hope your 2011 keeps giving you wonderful news like this!

Related Posts with Thumbnails