Welcome

Welcome to my self-indulgent location for the stories (good and bad) that I can't prevent myself from writing. All comments and criticisms welcome. I post on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Characterization

 I'm currently working on numbers 3 and 5 on the suggestions from My Personal Goat Goddess and there's a minor problem:  I'm getting bored.  It's horrible.  I feel guilty.  I love these characters, even with as much work as they need.  But, in writing the correspondence between A&M or trying to write some events from M's POV, I find myself wanting to yawn.

I have to remind myself that most of this will never be seen by anyone but me, and it's not about forwarding a plot, but simply about who they are.  And who out there is exciting and interesting all the time?  Feel free to raise your hand.  It's definitely not me.

But even with that reminder, I'm finding it hard to stick to the course.  I'm not excited about the introductory letters.  It's helpful (I know!) because it's laying out so much background information that is important to both of them, plus it's doing it in a semi-"active" way.  I've also been trying to skip around a little, hitting some of the landmark letters that get mentioned throughout the story, and those seem to be just as hard, even if they're not quite as boring.

Writing M at 14 when he receives the first letter is difficult because I have never been a fourteen year old boy (and I don't think I liked them much when I was 14).  Maybe I need to spend more time with my nephew...

No one said writing would be easy.  If it were, everyone would do it.  And if everyone did it, then we'd all still be riding horses, fighting dragons, reading by torch-light over a good glass of mead.

But who would make the mead?

How do you handle long tasks that are boring or frustrating?  They all need to get done eventually.  What tips can you share?

2 comments:

Honoria said...

I don't know what to suggest to make it easier, but as a reader, I would love to have access to the letters between A and M. Maybe writing from M's perspective isn't as important right now, but having those letters would be great to set up the story and the relationship.

As for the perspective of the 14 year old boy, they are a mystery let me tell you! I would suggest emailing 14 year old nephew and then beholding the short reply that you will receive. I have found teen or preteen boys to be young men of few words.

RosieC said...

Some of the letters will certainly be used in the rewrite. Others will hopefully be hidden away in a locked box until I die and then can't be embarrassed by them anymore :)

Part of the problem with the letters, though, is exactly what you've pointed out: young boys tend to be men of few words. This is not the case with these letters. Even some of the 14-yr-old ones tend to be long winded and sound more like me than him. It makes me wonder what a 14-yr-old boy would write to a girl that he was head-over-heels for. Would it still be so short? Then again, M is hardly a "typical" boy. It's like I want to take some teenage letters from two centuries ago and throw in some modern language.

Grr. Argh.

Related Posts with Thumbnails